Richard 3rd 100 mile fixed gear ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Thought I had better make a list of who is coming

Self
Partner in crime, dr_pink
@dave r
@jazzkat
@Norry1
@SimonJKH

Possible
@mikeee

Well that is 6 of us, possibly 7. Should I be advertising this elsewhere I wonder? Feel free to draw attention to it yourselves.

On another note, I fitted mudguards to the new steed accompanied by a fair amount of swearing, happens every time. I would take a picture but I would have to retrieve it from the next county, a tad windy here.
Fitting mudguards is one of those hateful jobs, it never goes by without a lot of swearing. It's worth it though.
I know what you mean about the wind, it's bin day here and I suspect if I don't get the bin as soon as they empty it I will end up looking for it half a mile away.

Have you thought about offering a shorter option? Not sure if you can with your route but I have found with my Llandudno ride that a lot of people think 100 miles is too much and also alternative start/finish points give a bit more flexibility. I've got about half doing the full ride with the other half doing bits of it

As it is I don't have a fixed gear bike :sad:
It is what it is on this ride which is looking to be an annual event, this is the second one. Much harder to get folk out on the "normal" ride later this month which is only fifty odd miles, all very strange as we have great cycling country, A roads and traffic just don't feature, maybe people are not as gregarious in the midlands.
The fact that half of your riders are only doing bits of your route indicates a wish to be part of an "event". Of course the other attraction as I have posted elsewhere, is that your route is flat and therefore attracts many more than is usual, also once someone posts "I am really slow", this gives confidence to others. You also have a lot of active CC members in that neck of the woods, it all helps.

Change in plan, the Richard 3rd bit, we are going somewhere else. So that is dead and buried [see what I did there], the new route is better, for a start there are fewer hills and quieter roads, on the original route we were going too close to Leicester for my liking. Also @dave r can't cheat, he knows what I mean :tongue:. There will likely be 2 cafe stops, same as last time. The start time will be 9am, I would prefer 8.30 but recognise this might be difficult for some, however if everyone can make the earlier time, let me know.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Just flagging a possible issue. On Saturday I picked up my fixed from a friend I'd lent it to. We met at the Victoria Park in Leamington Spa where there were some women's and Cat 4 races going on. I picked the bike up and put it on my roof and as I left the car park, the height restriction barrier must have swung back shut. After some horrible noises I found my fixed was wedged in the barrier. Eventually I got it out after standing on my car roof for 20 minutes. The steering tube and bars were bent. Not sure what other damage there may be.

The bike is now in my local bike shop. Hopefully it will be fixed (as in repaired :smile: ) in time. If not - anyone want to lend/sell me a fixed bike - medium sized?

Martin

Just flagging a possible issue. On Saturday I picked up my fixed from a friend I'd lent it to. We met at the Victoria Park in Leamington Spa where there were some women's and Cat 4 races going on. I picked the bike up and put it on my roof and as I left the car park, the height restriction barrier must have swung back shut. After some horrible noises I found my fixed was wedged in the barrier. Eventually I got it out after standing on my car roof for 20 minutes. The steering tube and bars were bent. Not sure what other damage there may be.

The bike is now in my local bike shop. Hopefully it will be fixed (as in repaired :smile: ) in time. If not - anyone want to lend/sell me a fixed bike - medium sized?

Martin
On the face of it that sounds disastrous, however, bars are cheap and easily replaced [I have spares if that is any help], if the steerer is bent I assume you can only see this from the fork angle, I doubt there is any damage to the headset part of the frame but you will need new forks. Repairing the bike is relatively straightforward, I could do it myself, I could also lend you a spare fixed bike but it would be a bit too big for you even though it has fairly aggressive angles, I could however put a shorter stem on and put the saddle all the way forward, how tall are you? What is the frame and forks made from?

Norry1

Legendary Member
The tube itself is bent. Hopefully the bike shop can sort this reasonably quickly and not too expensively. Your offer is very kind, but I'm rather shorter than you, 5' 9". I'll give the shop a few days and see where we are.

Martin

D

Deleted member 1258

Martin

If you are stuck my Pearson is for sale, 54cm frame, I'm not sure this link will work.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/736581573057253/permalink/806273316088078/

You would think I might have made that clear at the start of the thread :crazy:. The truth is we like to keep Rutland a bit of a secret, if you travel more than a couple of counties away from here and ask people where Rutland is, a lot of head scratching ensues together with some wild guesses. A lot of folk have heard of Rutland Water but still have no clue where it is. Our motto is Multum in Parvo, "much in little".
If this ride is your first 100 on fixed, though I say so myself, you could do a lot worse, we will be going through beautiful countryside from start to finish without riding on any A roads. I don't follow a map or use Garmin, I am still not sure of the route and still won't be when the ride starts. It's a lot of fun riding here, so many lanes to choose from.
There will still be a connection with Richard 3rd, so he has just been resurrected again. Phew.

Norry1

Legendary Member

Martin

Bike repaired. I was of course talking tosh as it was the quill stem that was bent. Shop has put an adapter on and a standard stem. I've done a few rides to check it is ok and all seems well.

Where in Oakham are we meeting and at what time???

Bike repaired. I was of course talking tosh as it was the quill stem that was bent. Shop has put an adapter on and a standard stem. I've done a few rides to check it is ok and all seems well.

Where in Oakham are we meeting and at what time???
Good news ref the bike. Meet east side of Oakham station at 8.30 if everyone can do that, if not yell out now and we will make it 9. I would prefer 8.30 just because it's a long ride and would like to get back for a reasonable time. We did a fair chunk of the ride today and really enjoyed it..
I have 4 classifications for terrain on bike rides:
Flat
Gently rolling
Rolling
Hilly
This ride fits entirely into the middle 2 categories although there is a 20 mile section in the middle that is virtually flat. Cafe stops are at about 48 miles and 78 miles, the latter may not be needed if a nice day and we carry extra rations with us, will play that one by ear.

Top Bottom