Ride from Stockport......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PsychoRider

Über Member
6th July from Stockport Train Station 10am, 20-40miles depending on peoples preferences, shouldn't be too many hills, heading towards Macclesfield,Holmes Chapel and Joderell Bank and the surrounding area,out and back ride,weather not an issue for me,i'll be out no matter.
If any one knows a better route to Holmes Chapel then please mention it.
As this is my first time if I have missed anything or you want to add anything that is necessary,please correct me.....

longers

Legendary Member
Count me in :biggrin:. I don't know over there too well so will keep well out of the route finding if that's ok with you.

10's fine.

We need to pick a good brew stop as well, so ideas for that are welcome.

OP
OP
PsychoRider

PsychoRider

Über Member
Its been a few years since i rode over that way but i know you can cover miles easily because it's mainly flat, i'm sure we'll be able to sniff a cafe of some sort out.

OP
OP
PsychoRider

PsychoRider

Über Member
Cool,two riders so far at least if my fitness shows me up i can draft behind you two lmao
Hoping to do the Manchester to Blackpool ride the week after too!!

trio25

Über Member
Might be up for this unless you are all really fast!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
My Wife is in the process of thinking about it and checking with her friend to see whether they'll organise a picnic type thing at Tatton Park for the afternoon - I can then join the ride and do the Stockport - Jodrell Bank - Holmes Chapel loop and then divert off to Tatton to meet up with them.

I'll keep you posted.

No idea what speed others go at - I usually go pretty rapidly... but then I don't really have anyone to commpare with as I don't see too many on my commute. ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm up for this - 6th July clear with me, and I know the lanes pretty well - the A6 will be quiet on a Sunday, but we don't have to get out that way - worth coming off the A6 at Davenport, then through Bramhall and onto Woodford - that takes you Wilmslow way, or via Prestbury and on to Macc, or I could guide you up near The Wizard or even Swiss Hill for a challenge (and a half - no guarantee you'll get up without coming to a stop - slippery rough cobbles)

Monks Heath (near Chelford) has a Garden Centre with a Cafe and it's a popular bike stop.

Stockport - Chelford is about 30 miles return.....or from Chelford we could hit the lanes round Peover (nice and quiet) and head back via Knutsford / Wilmslow - easy jump for Sharky !!! That's about 40 miles.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I'm still awaiting the verdict from the Oracle... but the only caveat I'd like to propose is that we take in Jodrell Bank - I've never been there and would love to see the place (well, the scopes more than anything - assuming they are visible from the nearby road(s)!).

I thought it would be Stockport - Jodrell Bank - Holmes Chapel and then via Wilmslow back to Stockport... I'd be leaving just after Holmes Chapel to head over to Tatton Park (assuming the plan is okayed!).

Is there some easy way of proposing routes and storing/displaying them on Google Maps?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll think a route up over the weekend on mapmyride and post here - do we want to go as far as Holmes Chapel - I've got a great route that will skirt Alderley Edge, Wizard or Swiss Hill, then via a few back roads via Birtles and Redesmere Lake, Siddington, Lower Withington and past Jodrell Bank (the place is visible for a fair few miles) Peover, then head up towards Knutsford and Wilmslow - you can dive off near Toft/Mobberley... Most of it aviods the major roads.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I'm still awaiting the verdict from the Oracle... but the only caveat I'd like to propose is that we take in Jodrell Bank - I've never been there and would love to see the place (well, the scopes more than anything - assuming they are visible from the nearby road(s)!).
as Fossy says, you can see it from a fair way away! It might be worth making a detour if you want to see it up close (and everyone else agrees) as entry is free to the outside bits. The main telescope has a path around it that you can follow for a closer look.

Top Bottom