Ride London Classics - womens' & mens' (Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Just in case there's a wish to discuss.

Apparently for the mens' race the BBC are going to broadcast data such as heart rate, cadence etc. and one bike from each team will carry a Go-Pro.

Not quite sure about the womens' race parcours - it seems a bit of a mickey mouse way of getting the distance with those U turns on Constitution Hill and the Strand, but perhaps that's just me. Shame Boels-Dolmans aren't there.

(Must admit I'm rather hoping they'll have something on the Brompton GP as well, just for amusement value)

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
J

Not quite sure about the womens' race parcours - it seems a bit of a mickey mouse way of getting the distance with those U turns on Constitution Hill and the Strand, but perhaps that's just me.
Wearing my positive hat, the new route has a few more challenges than the old, short route, which was pretty much a triangle in the park and all left turns.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wearing my positive hat, the new route has a few more challenges than the old, short route, which was pretty much a triangle in the park and all left turns.
It's better, but it's still a shame they don't find some way for an open road stage or at least the start before a finishing circuit.

I think the Brompton WC is after the women's race this year. Anyone know why? Is it on a shorter loop?

oldroadman

Veteran
It's better, but it's still a shame they don't find some way for an open road stage or at least the start before a finishing circuit.

I think the Brompton WC is after the women's race this year. Anyone know why? Is it on a shorter loop?

The race is in Central London. Right in front of the public, a step up compared to last year's race which was really a criterium. The logistics of running on a larger circuit are very difficult, remember this is a Saturday in London. Absolutely no way an "open road" part, the risks at this level mean there has to be a closure to have a proper and safe "field of play". Be patient, it will grow, and 100,000 euro prize list shows no lack of commitment. Live TV on terrestrial and Eurosport too, plus it's a showcase for London so the tourist boards and Prudential will love it.

oldroadman

Veteran
One small point, the 180 turns are on wide roads, so speeds should not be too badly affected. All it needs is a very active and attacking race to show how women's racing has improved to the point where there is equal quality with men, and just as good a spectacle. Never forget sport is also an entertainment business!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

From the logos on the barriers in Horseguards Road it looks like the Brommies will be using the previous Women's route. It's all barriered up there but the freecycle ride goes up Birdcage Walk.

OP
OP
HF2300

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy

I don't know, I think there's a lot of merit in having a circuit race for the reasons @oldroadman outlines above, and the very basic circuit of the last few years has produced some good attacking - I just felt the out and back on the Strand and Constitution Hill was a bit ... well, mickey mouse, as I said. It's a bit 'how do we get the distance in the roads we've got' rather than 'what's the best course for this race'.Those roads are wide, but they aren't that wide particularly once you've split them in half. Everyone will want to be on the front for those turns.

I suppose ideally you'd want to be going round a wider course, maybe looping round Wellington Arch, but then you're talking about a lot more road closures and disruption.

Looks as though the BBC have reanimated Hugh Porter for the occasion. Cue lots of confusion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HF2300

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Apparently Big Ben has 'seen some action over the years'.

I know a tower's phallic, but really... :blink:

OP
OP
HF2300

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Riders at the back of the group are nearly coming to a stop at the Strand hairpin. Think we'll see teams repeatedly trying to stretch it out after that turn.

Top Bottom