Ride on Left

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jugglingphil

Coming down a long shared cycle path today. Wind behind me (YAY) going at a far old rate.

I'm cycling on the LHS of the lane, but all the cyclists coming the other way seem to want to share the same bit of pavement. They're on their RHS of lane. So we end up with a game of chicken. Today I bottled ever time, as I'm doing over 20 mph and as they are fighting into the wind they'd be going a lot slower.

I think it's because that side of lane is furthest from the road. Wind direct was directly up/down lane no crosswind so it's not that.

Is this common? Do most cyclists think that cycle on the left is the rule or merely what you do on roads!?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I always assume ride on the left, but I think a lot of casual cyclists don't get it, possibly for several reasons:

1. They don't drive, so they don't have "Keep left" drummed into their heads
2. They do drive, but they don't equate cycling on cyclepaths to driving on roads
3. They are a bit dim

an unlikely 4. is that they think for some reason that cycling shares rules with inland waterways, where you keep right.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thinking about it, we had 'keep left' drummed into us at school for easier passage in crowded corridors, so it's instinctive for me. I get frustrated at other pedestrians who don't do it if I'm walking!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Thinking about it, we had 'keep left' drummed into us at school for easier passage in crowded corridors, so it's instinctive for me. I get frustrated at other pedestrians who don't do it if I'm walking!

We had that. walk down the stairs on the left and up on the left to keep everything following.

mgarl10024

Über Member
A few months back, I saw two cyclists nearly collide and moan at each other.

The one going in my direction had stuck to the left.
The one going against my direction had been cycling on the "bike side" of the 2m wide, split lane cycle path. This was his right, or our left - putting us on a collision course.

Personally, I tend to to ignore which lane is for cycles and which is for pedestrians - because if all bikes were in the narrow bike lane zipping past each other in opposite directions it's bound to cause accidents.
As I see it, you just use the left lane, and like a road if you get stuck behind someone slow (pedestrian) in your lane, then you wait, or overtake if safe to do so.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I always assume ride on the left, but I think a lot of casual cyclists don't get it, possibly for several reasons:

1. They don't drive, so they don't have "Keep left" drummed into their heads
2. They do drive, but they don't equate cycling on cyclepaths to driving on roads
3. They are a bit dim

an unlikely 4. is that they think for some reason that cycling shares rules with inland waterways, where you keep right.

:biggrin: I'm enjoying the thought that cyclepaths are populated mainly by narrowboaters on an awayday.

asterix

Comrade Member
It's always been an occasional problem on the paths I use(in York) and I usually stand on as long as possible. There is no way I would try that at 20mph!

If they persist in passing on my left I just wish them 'Bonjour' and carry on.

frank9755

Cyclist
It's a widely observed problem - was just discussing it with a friend the other day when we passed, not a cyclist, but a chap on skis with little wheels on the bottom, who wanted to stick to the right. It's one of the reasons cycle paths are not very safe!

For some reason I've found it particularly bad in Maidenhead. I've had a couple of collisions on blind bends there with people who prefer the right. (Edit: and I've only been there a couple of times!)

One suggestion is to stay left and stick your left arm out in a hand signal to show that you don't intend to give way.

Arch

Married to Night Train
:biggrin: I'm enjoying the thought that cyclepaths are populated mainly by narrowboaters on an awayday.

They are easy to recognise, they have big black kettles with roses painted on them on their racks.

Mad at urage

It's a widely observed problem - was just discussing it with a friend the other day when we passed, not a cyclist, but a chap on skis with little wheels on the bottom, who wanted to stick to the right. It's one of the reasons cycle paths are not very safe!

For some reason I've found it particularly bad in Maidenhead. I've had a couple of collisions on blind bends there with people who prefer the right. (Edit: and I've only been there a couple of times!)

One suggestion is to stay left and stick your left arm out in a hand signal to show that you don't intend to give way.
This is probably the reason. Walkers are recommended to face oncoming traffic when sharing the road with vehicles (i.e. on the right), so when on shared paths people try to abide by walker's rules whether walking, skating or cycling.

frank9755

Cyclist
This is probably the reason. Walkers are recommended to face oncoming traffic when sharing the road with vehicles (i.e. on the right), so when on shared paths people try to abide by walker's rules whether walking, skating or cycling.

Yes, I thought so too - but he had an identity crisis by being on the cycle path (not the nearby footpath) but behaving as a pedestrian!

Top Bottom