Ride on Left

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenM

Veteran
I played chicken with an oik once.... the Pedals and chainring at about the same height as his "soft and squdgies" ensured he got out of the way - double quick after my obvious course correction which lined the powertrain up with the target :biggrin: not only do you get a comfy ride on a 'bent you win at chicken with the oiks!

B.

If you're finding it such a problem - maybe you should start using the road instead...

We had that. walk down the stairs on the left and up on the left to keep everything following.

One (not very wide) building had 2 sets of stairs - these were seperately "up" and "down". 4 floors.

What they just couldn't get, was that we all finished in the building at the same time, and left down just 1 set of stairs.

People would only be coming up the stairs 5-10 minutes later for next classes.

Needless to say loads of us would go down the up sometimes, and look around the corner of the bottom set due to certain overzealous teachers watching out for us.

Stupid really... anyway I prefer using stairs on the right (right handed, hand rail).

irw

Quadricyclist

Which, coincidentally, is still available, now a bit cheaper...:whistle:

(And yes, that's me chauffeuring Captain Hook in the first picture...he didn't trust any of the real pirates actors to drive him on for his first entrance!)

To stay vaguely on topic, I did a clockwise loop of the stage (going the other way would have felt wrong!), and would have stuck to the left if another had come the other way!

PBancroft

One (not very wide) building had 2 sets of stairs - these were seperately "up" and "down". 4 floors.

What they just couldn't get, was that we all finished in the building at the same time, and left down just 1 set of stairs.

What would happen if there was a fire on the "down" stairs?
ohmy.gif

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The one going in my direction had stuck to the left.
The one going against my direction had been cycling on the "bike side" of the 2m wide, split lane cycle path. This was his right, or our left - putting us on a collision course.

Personally, I tend to to ignore which lane is for cycles and which is for pedestrians - because if all bikes were in the narrow bike lane zipping past each other in opposite directions it's bound to cause accidents.
As I see it, you just use the left lane, and like a road if you get stuck behind someone slow (pedestrian) in your lane, then you wait, or overtake if safe to do so.

I think that is part of the problem people treat them in different ways so you get the ones who cycle on the left side of the path in the direction they are going, the ones that must cycle on the bike lane side of the path even if someone is coming, those who don't know the rules, or don't care. My hubby is a cycle on the left person and gets annoyed at on coming cyclists who cycle on the bike lane side instead. Me I'm easier going and will have a tendency to cycle on the left but I will move to which ever side the gap is to go around the pedestrians and usually say hello in advance to alert them of my presence. Cubist I'm not sure all cyclists would understand Heads Up ... in fact it may of confused her if she was that thick so she was trying to work out what it meant rather than noticing the on-coming cyclist ... :biggrin:

My older kids school has those sort of stairs and when ever we go there on parents evenings and walk up the down stairs it makes them laugh.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I always assume ride on the left, but I think a lot of casual cyclists don't get it, possibly for several reasons:

1. They don't drive, so they don't have "Keep left" drummed into their heads
2. They do drive, but they don't equate cycling on cyclepaths to driving on roads
3. They are a bit dim

an unlikely 4. is that they think for some reason that cycling shares rules with inland waterways, where you keep right.

Zer iz ze small possibility of ze numbur fahv, also - which iz zat perhaps zeez cyclists come from France, n'est pas? Ah! Le cyclisme! Tres bon!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Zer iz ze small possibility of ze numbur fahv, also - which iz zat perhaps zeez cyclists come from France, n'est pas? Ah! Le cyclisme! Tres bon!
A theory blown out of the water I'm afraid. Last Summer in Landes two of us on MTBs on a cyclepath, blind bend, french couple both on road bikes, all the gear straight round the corner at stupid velocities on our side (the wrong side of the path, right?). She managed to swerve back over to the right (right?) and I bunnyhopped onto the grass as monsieur clipped my bars and rode straight into Cubester. My french is O level,at best, but I managed a "Con stupide!" that day.

He looked a bit sniffy about the whole thing, but I was all badass with wraprounds and bandanna, so he decided against pushing it any further with the clearly superieur "Les F*ckoffs"

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
A theory blown out of the water I'm afraid. Last Summer in Landes two of us on MTBs on a cyclepath, blind bend, french couple both on road bikes, all the gear straight round the corner at stupid velocities on our side (the wrong side of the path, right?). She managed to swerve back over to the right (right?) and I bunnyhopped onto the grass as monsieur clipped my bars and rode straight into Cubester. My french is O level,at best, but I managed a "Con stupide!" that day.

He looked a bit sniffy about the whole thing, but I was all badass with wraprounds and bandanna, so he decided against pushing it any further with the clearly superieur "Les F*ckoffs"

I am sure you could have one them over with, "Juzt one leetle waffur ..."
biggrin.gif

doug

Veteran
Had an interesting one on the Grand Union Canal towpath near Alperton last night - bloke wearing a hi-vis vest on an mtb approaching in the middle of the path, so I move further to my left - and so does he, I go as far left as I can and still be on the path and he goes around on my left on the grass bank.

The strangest thing though - he was a PCSO !

Can't even trust the polis to get it right :wacko:

I occasionally get timid riders trying to stay as far from the canal as possible and ignoring the keep left etiquette.

Top Bottom