Ride pace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycle99

I wonder if someone could comment on what average speed is considered as good, when riding

For example, I would ride around 30 to 35 miles on a reasonable ride for general fitness. My rides around my home area comprise of some small hills, but nothing particularly big, and just general back roads. I would expect a headwind on certain open aspects, sometimes quite strong.

I am looking for benchmarks to work towards, with a view to taking part in sportifs during the year.

I have been riding for just over a year, during which I took on a John O Groats to Lands End ride for charity with some friends, and coped reasonably well.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There is no single good average speed. As long as you are enjoying your cycling then that's all that matters. Everyone has different expectations, speeds and averages. What is your benchmark is not necessarily someone elses.

It only really matters If you join a local club and get into a chain gangs or TT's

S-Express

I wonder if someone could comment on what average speed is considered as good, when riding

There isn't one. However, what will follow will be posts from innumerable people who will tell you what their own averages are - none of which will have any relevance to you whatsoever.

I am looking for benchmarks to work towards, with a view to taking part in sportifs during the year.

So take part in a sportive - and use the time as a benchmark.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If you've done John O'Groats to Lands End you must have decent endurance.

And probably reasonable speed as well, assuming you didn't take a month to do it.

Sportives aren't my thing, but I reckon if you can get round at 12-15mph, you will be well in the pack.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pale Rider posted exactly what I was typing so not much point in me posting it! :okay:

I would suggest that you time yourself on your favourite loop and just keep trying to improve on that time.

If you ever get to the point where you are averaging 20+ mph for 20-30 miles then you would be fitter than most of us! If you could average 25+ mph then you would be very fit.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Unless you are on closed roads I wouldn't get hung up on speed . My training rides have me at about 14mph average because of traffic and traffic lights . Weather also plays a massive part .

si_c

Guru
As others have said, there's too many variables to consider average speed to be a useful comparator. You could ride 30 miles into a strong headwind at 20mph, which is massively different from the same ride with a strong tailwind and the same speed.

I tend to ride at a certain feel, and quantify how I'm doing based on that. No doubt someone will be on here to tell you to get a power meter, which will give you a number that is comparable between rides, more or less.

Don't get too hung up on it.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
26 mph average or you're a bit rubbish.

I presume that speed is due to being held up by traffic.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh, sugar, can't like that.
But in your case cars were involved I seem to remember.
I meant falling off without collision, like failing to see potholes.
I've had a clipless where I was barely moving, that hurt too

In the car accident, wing mirror versus handlebar threw me off, not hit by car. Still a v bad outcome

Slick

Guru
Oh, sugar, can't like that.
But in your case cars were involved I seem to remember.
I meant falling off without collision, like failing to see potholes.
I suppose it's like falling from height, there are miraculous stories about people surviving falls from hundreds of feet, and stories of people losing their life falling off a chair.

Top Bottom