Ride your bike for at least 30 minutes at least three times a week, every week, for a year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran

bluenotebob

Veteran
If you haven't already cracked it by then, I'll have a go at a clock symbol on paint later in the week.

Yes, please - see what you can do. It won't matter if we haven't sorted it out by year-end.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Only reservation is being prescriptive about stating length of time on the bike - it's a stat I don't make a note of and it usually doesn't equate to time in motion. Also slightly concerned it may promote a degree of competition, but mostly its just me not wanting to try & figure it out

You should include 'length of time' when posting a ride as that's the key criterion for a qualifying ride - everybody else reported that stat earlier in the year when there were a few of us in the challenge.

Doesn't your Garmin (or whatever you use to calculate distance, height gained etc) give you the information?

If not, then a general guess at the length of time on your bike would suffice.

I don't think it would lead to any competitiveness within the challenge. Earlier this year, there were all sorts of time variations - and I thought that just made it more interesting.

FrothNinja

Veteran
W51R1 - Burnley, Fence, Roughlee, Clarion, Spen Brooks, Wheatley Lane, Brierfield, Burnley (bike change) Brierfield, Nelson, Barrowford, Colne, Barrowford, Nelson, Brierfield, Burnley (bike change) Brierfield, Nelson, Barrowford, Brierfield, Wheatley Lane, Fence, Burnley (total 32.1 miles / 51.7 km plus 2,181 ft of ascent) Half Century finished
W51R2 - Burnley miles on the Centurion
W51R3 - Burnley miles on the Centurion
W51R4 - Burnley miles on the Centurion
Went out today as well but for well under half an hour, and achieved my highest ever average recorded speed on a bike ride.
20.1 mph - Avg Moving Speed & 25.6 mph - Max Speed
The weirdest part is that it was on the Centurion 5 speed. Hit a sweet spot and the roads were post Apocalypse quite.

One more week to go - I suspect @bluenotebob will cross the finish line first

bluenotebob

Veteran
One more week to go - I suspect @bluenotebob will cross the finish line first

I might @FrothNinja but it’s not a race. I try and do these 3 weekly rides Monday through Wednesday whenever possible – but we’ve got some odd weather coming next week so I may be a bit behind with that schedule.

I’d hoped to do something a bit different for one or two of my Week 52 rides, including a tour of the Lac au Duc on one of my mountain bikes – but the lake has flooded its banks in a few places .. so I’ll have to leave that until Jan or Feb.

Congrats on the record average speed! I’ve definitely slowed down over the last couple of years .. my fastest ride this year was only 19kph – way slower then you.

Will you set yourself a higher distance Lunacy challenge for 2023? You sailed past your 50km target for this year with months to spare.

Will you sign-up to the ‘2023 Consistency’ challenge next year? It looks interesting and you can double-book your rides from other challenges.

Good luck with Week 52 – and have a great Christmas!

FrothNinja

Veteran
1 - Congrats on the record average speed! I’ve definitely slowed down over the last couple of years .. my fastest ride this year was only 19kph – way slower then you.

2 - Will you set yourself a higher distance Lunacy challenge for 2023? You sailed past your 50km target for this year with months to spare.

3 - Will you sign-up to the ‘2023 Consistency’ challenge next year? It looks interesting and you can double-book your rides from other challenges.

4 - Good luck with Week 52 – and have a great Christmas!

Can't figure out the multi-quote thing so;
1 - My usual average on that route is multi - lap and about 16 mph. On the longer rides I only average about 11 mph - which appears to be much slower than most group rides so I avoid them.
2 - 35 miles maybe. The problem is that while I a did more than double the required amount, not that many were much over it. Maybe I should give myself a stretch target too. Same with the climbing challenge.
3 - Tempted but the rules seem a little daunting. We'll see....
4 - Happy Christmas & a Merry Hogmanay to thee and thine, hope you have a satisfying finish to the year.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Can't figure out the multi-quote thing so;
1 - My usual average on that route is multi - lap and about 16 mph. On the longer rides I only average about 11 mph - which appears to be much slower than most group rides so I avoid them.
2 - 35 miles maybe. The problem is that while I a did more than double the required amount, not that many were much over it. Maybe I should give myself a stretch target too. Same with the climbing challenge.
3 - Tempted but the rules seem a little daunting. We'll see....
4 - Happy Christmas & a Merry Hogmanay to thee and thine, hope you have a satisfying finish to the year.

One of the things I liked about the new ‘Consistency’ challenge is that you get a point for 40km (25 mile) rides. I do 40-45km rides quite often but can’t quite get them up to the 50km mark to qualify for the HMCAM challenge.

Yes – the rules for the ‘Consistency’ challenge are a bit confusing but I’m sure it’ll become clearer when some people have actually posted a few rides. And if you miss a month because of illness or injury, you can re-allocate a ride from another month (which, of course, you can’t do in the HMCAM challenge).

Setting yourself a higher distance target in the Lunacy challenge means it becomes more of a challenge .. but don’t make the mistake I made in 2020 and 2021 of setting a target too high. 2020 was impossible anyway because of COVID Lockdown rules here – but I should have met my target in 2021. It was too much (84km with a stretch target of 90km) – I just ran out of steam in November that year and my failure still rankles…

The other thing is time – even though I don’t work any more, finding the time to do 5 or 6 hour-rides can sometimes be difficult.

I hope you enjoyed your Christmas. I spent Xmas Day with my French neighbours eating an enormous lunch that went on for hours .. I usually only have some fruit for lunch so it was a shock to the system that I’m only slowly recovering from...

bluenotebob

Veteran
I haven’t managed this every week. Holidays and I had Covid in November. I’d estimate I’ve managed this about 47 weeks this year.

Sorry to hear about the Covid. I hope you've fully recovered now

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 52 – ride 1 (Mon) – 52 mins – colder than recently but sunny (for a change) with a stiff W wind. SBdM, Plaisance and Pontmenard – on the Urban Shaper hybrid.

Week 52 – ride 2 (Tues) – 1hr 48mins – SBdM, Kerminy, Evriguet and Guilliers, a loop around Guilliers then followed the same route in reverse on the way home. Only the second outing in December for the road bike (and perhaps the last, looking at the weather to come for the rest of this week).

Week 52 – ride 3 (Wed) – 38 mins – out on the MASSI mountain bike in gusty winds and horizontal rain … doing my Gene Kelly impression. Didn’t stray far from the village and tried to stay in the lee of some tall pines to get some shelter from the wind.

That’s 2022 done as far as this challenge is concerned. I’ve managed to ride 347/362 days so far (with a minimum of 7km per day). I doubt I’ve had done that in the winter months if it hadn’t been for this challenge – thanks to @Ming the Merciless for setting it up.

Good luck @FrothNinja getting the rest of your Week 52 rides done before the storm hits Fri/Sat.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Week 52 – ride 1 (Mon) – 52 mins – colder than recently but sunny (for a change) with a stiff W wind. SBdM, Plaisance and Pontmenard – on the Urban Shaper hybrid.

Week 52 – ride 2 (Tues) – 1hr 48mins – SBdM, Kerminy, Evriguet and Guilliers, a loop around Guilliers then followed the same route in reverse on the way home. Only the second outing in December for the road bike (and perhaps the last, looking at the weather to come for the rest of this week).

Week 52 – ride 3 (Wed) – 38 mins – out on the MASSI mountain bike in gusty winds and horizontal rain … doing my Gene Kelly impression. Didn’t stray far from the village and tried to stay in the lee of some tall pines to get some shelter from the wind.

That’s 2022 done as far as this challenge is concerned. I’ve managed to ride 347/362 days so far (with a minimum of 7km per day). I doubt I’ve had done that in the winter months if it hadn’t been for this challenge – thanks to @Ming the Merciless for setting it up.

Good luck @FrothNinja getting the rest of your Week 52 rides done before the storm hits Fri/Sat.

I've done my 3, waiting to see if I can make it 4 tomorrow - dryish start to the day forecast - or possibly go out on a high 5.
Just got back in from fulfilling my personal minimum daily ride. Living room feels far too hot now! Felt a tad cool before I left...

FrothNinja

Veteran
One day left but forecast for the morrow is not promising so:
W52R1 (177 mins) - Burnley, Brierfield, Wheatley Lane, Spen Brook, Newchurch, Barley, 4 Lane Ends, Twiston, Downham, Chatburn, Clitheroe, Nick Of Pendle, Sabden, (dropped my bidon and gave its bottom a crack of its own), Portfield (kind householder let me refill my bottle which I then installed upside down), the Ridge, Read, Higher Trapp, the Ridge, Wheatley Lane, Cuckstool Lane, Brierfield, Burnley (total 31.2 miles / 50.2 km plus 3,481 ft/ 1,061m of ascent)
W52R2 (30 mins) - Burnley miles on the Centurion
W52R3 (56 mins) - Burnley, Brierfield, Wheatley Lane, Fence, Wood End, Burnley on the hybrid
W52R4 (56 mins) - Heyroyd and back on Fatty the Folda - about half of it along the wave lashed L&L, gads it was windy

Look - practicing putting the moving time on! :bicycle:

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Congratulations @FrothNinja ! ... and yes, I spotted that you'd added the ride time...

You've had a cracking 2022 with all four of your challenges completed.

I hope to get out on Sunday and make a start on next year's 3x30minsxweek.

I'll put a reminder in this thread that 2023 rides should be posted in the new thread - and I'll ask the mods to close this one (next week sometime). OK with you?

50mph winds here all day - and one tree down in the village (not one of mine, thankfully).

Enjoy your New Year's Eve !

FrothNinja

Veteran
Is this of use for this/next year? Needs shrinking etc
3xChallenge.jpg

Top Bottom