Ride your bike for at least 30 minutes at least three times a week, every week, for a year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
W41R1 - Burnley, Foulridge, Blacko, Roughlee, Clarion, Spen Brook, Sabden Fold, the Ridge, Black Hill, the Ridge, Fence, Brierfield, Burnley
W41R2 - Burnley, the Ridge, Sabden, Whalley, Old Langho, A59, Preston
W41R3 - Briercliffe, Brierfield, L&L, Colne (LBS), L&L, Nelson, Burnley

Last edited:

FrothNinja

Veteran
W42R1 - circular route from Ashton Under Lyne using chunks of the Oldham to Ashton cycleway
W42R2 - local ride doing various chores
W42R3 - local after dark ride - at least it was dry-ish
W43R1 - Burnley, Nelson, Barrowford, Colne, Foulridge, Barnoldswick, L&L, Brierfield, Wheatley Lane, Fence, Burnley

Last edited:

FrothNinja

Veteran
Another week where fitting in the outdoor rides felt like a chore.
W44R1 - Out to Townley - ride curtailed due to a mechanical
W44R2 & W44R3 - LBS rides to have my repair double checked and finished properly

Last edited:

FrothNinja

Veteran
W45R1 - Extended loop to the Clarion
W45R2 - Burnley, Brierfield, Fence, Burnley
W45R3 - local gravel bashing
W45R4 - local run between showerings of gifts from the sky

Last edited:

FrothNinja

Veteran
W45R5 - Burnley, Townley, Worsthorne, Roggerham, Monk Hall, Haggate, Burnley
W46R1 - Burnley, Fence, Sabden Fold, Newchurch, Barley, Newchurch, Clarion, Newchurch, Barley, Roughlee, Stang Top, Four Lane Ends, Ing Head Moor, Four Lane Ends, Roughlee, Stang Top, Roughlee, Spen Brook, Wheatley Lane, Barrowford, Nelson, Brierfield, Burnley
W46R2 - local run
W46R3 - local gravel bashing
W46R4 - short run round Meole Brace and Bellvue

Last edited:

FrothNinja

Veteran
W47R1 - In and around Shrewsbury (Meole Brace, Bell Vue, Frankwell etc)
W47R2 - Shrewsbury, Atcham, Wroxeter and back
W47R3 - local Burnley miles
W47R4 - Roughlee, Barrowford, Noggarth, Barrowford, Roughlee

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Not sure when I last posted in this challenge – probably early March. I’ve ridden every day since the end of February – apart from 11 March, 18 July and 21 October – so I was still in the challenge at the beginning of this week (21st November – week 47).

I really couldn’t be bothered posting here every week – but I would have posted something if I’d failed to do the minimum number of weekly rides.

I’ll post every week now until the end of the year.

Week 47 – ride 1 (Wed) – 67 mins – local ride on the MASSI mountain bike

Week 47 – ride 2 (Fri) – 3 hrs 43 mins – 2 x local rides on the Shaper 200 then on the RAID mountain bike, then Mauron-Lézonnet-Mauron on the Urban Shaper (more info + photos in the ‘Your Ride Today’ thread)

Week 47 – ride 3 (Sat) – 2 hrs 6 mins – loop out to Corbinais and Ville Jallu on the Sensium 300 road bike

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 48 – ride 1 (Mon) – 40 mins – out to St Brieuc-de-Mauron (SBdM) via Pontmenard to see which roads were closed because of the scheduled ’10 day’ road closure/deviations in the centre of SBdM… answer “none” because they hadn’t started the work... On the Shaper 200 hybrid

Week 48 – ride 2 (Tues) – 54 mins – loop through SBdM, Briend, le Faux and la Suais on the Urban Shaper hybrid

Week 48 – ride 3 (Wed) – 1 hr 2 mins – loop through SBdM, le Faux, Raserais and Esquiniac on the Shaper 200 hybrid

I’ve done other rides this week – and I shall do more over the next four days, despite the cold weather – but that’ll do for week 48.

I noticed that I did very few rides at the start of December 2021 – according to my notes, it was “very cold, windy and showery” – and Storm Barra passed through. I don’t remember any of it… I suspect that having passed my annual target towards the end of November, I was having a rest. As I passed this year’s annual target back in September – and have continued to push on – then that won’t apply this year.

Four weeks to go … good luck @FrothNinja !

FrothNinja

Veteran
Week 48 – ride 1 (Mon) – 40 mins – out to St Brieuc-de-Mauron (SBdM) via Pontmenard to see which roads were closed because of the scheduled ’10 day’ road closure/deviations in the centre of SBdM… answer “none” because they hadn’t started the work... On the Shaper 200 hybrid

Week 48 – ride 2 (Tues) – 54 mins – loop through SBdM, Briend, le Faux and la Suais on the Urban Shaper hybrid

Week 48 – ride 3 (Wed) – 1 hr 2 mins – loop through SBdM, le Faux, Raserais and Esquiniac on the Shaper 200 hybrid

I’ve done other rides this week – and I shall do more over the next four days, despite the cold weather – but that’ll do for week 48.

I noticed that I did very few rides at the start of December 2021 – according to my notes, it was “very cold, windy and showery” – and Storm Barra passed through. I don’t remember any of it… I suspect that having passed my annual target towards the end of November, I was having a rest. As I passed this year’s annual target back in September – and have continued to push on – then that won’t apply this year.

Four weeks to go … good luck @FrothNinja !

Cheers @bluenotebob - I have just realised that I have mucked up my week count somewhere!

FrothNinja

Veteran
I buggered up the week count back in March (turned last ride of W10 into 9:cry:) & I fear some may have copied me, very sorry - been going back and correcting myself

bluenotebob

Veteran
buggered up the week count back in March (turned last ride of W10 into 9:cry:) & I fear some may have copied me, very sorry - been going back and correcting myself

I was never very sure what 'week' you were on because you started on a Saturday (if memory serves) which, I think, was 1st January. Anyway, you're back on track now.

Just a few cold, windy (and probably wet) rides to do now and we'll both be over the line.

Assuming we both finish, do you think we should award ourselves a little icon ? .. something along the lines of 3x30xWk.. ?

FrothNinja

Veteran
I was never very sure what 'week' you were on because you started on a Saturday (if memory serves) which, I think, was 1st January. Anyway, you're back on track now.

Just a few cold, windy (and probably wet) rides to do now and we'll both be over the line.

Assuming we both finish, do you think we should award ourselves a little icon ? .. something along the lines of 3x30xWk.. ?

I think a little icon would be a fitting reward - and maybe a little treat on the last day of the year. I think I have ridden at the very least, a mile on an ancient friction trainer on the days I haven't been able to get out and do my 30 mins. Getting tricky now as at least one ride a week has to be after dark. I think we have done great and hope we are not the only ones to make it this far.

FrothNinja

Veteran
W48R1 - Inverted Alien on local roads & towpath
W48R2 - Burnley, Wheatley Lane, Barrowford, Colne, Alkincoats, Foulridge, Whitemoor, Gisburn Old Road (low sided at 28 kph), Rimington, Four Lane Ends, Barley, Newchurch, Clarion (lights on but door locked 😢), Spen Brook, Fence, Burnley (total 31.7 miles / 51.0 km plus 3,820 ft of ascent)
W48R3 - wonky cross on local roads
W48R4 - local L&L run

The results of R2's prang are scabbing up nicely and no sign of bruises though I can feel them

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
What a cold week – and getting colder !

Week 49 – ride 1 (Mon) – 62 mins – a loop through SBdM, le Faux, Raserais and Esquiniac on the Shaper 200 hybrid. Unplanned but I noticed afterwards that this was exactly the same ride as Week 48/ride 2 – same time and only 50 metres longer. A slight surprise to see how consistent I am (albeit consistently slow…).

Week 49 – ride 2 (Tues) – 60 mins – a very local ride on the MASSI mountain bike – stayed close to the village only venturing as far as Pontmenard. The MASSI passed 2700km on this ride – not bad considering I only got the bike in April this year. A third of my annual distance this year has been on my two MTBs – a complete contrast to earlier years. I guess that reflects a change in my riding habits and is also a reflection (particularly the heat of July and August) of this year’s weather.

Week 49 – ride 3 (Wed) – 64 mins – local lanes and some offroad tracks, trying to avoid the worst of the NE wind, on the RAID mountain bike

@FrothNinja .. do you think you’ll continue with this Challenge next year?

I’ll be 70-years old next week and I’m wondering whether to retire from all the three challenges that I’ve done this year, ie this one, HMCAM and the Lunacy challenge. I’ve no intention of slowing down though – I’ve already set my targets for 2023: monthly and annual, and all five bikes have monthly and annual minimum and stretch targets too. It’s just a case of whether my 2023 targets fit into – or conflict with – these three challenges. I’ve just had my best year ever on the bike(s) but I’m now struggling to work out how I’m going to finish this year’s HMCAM challenge. I don’t need extra stress in my life and I may well pull out of that challenge in 2023.

I can continue with this ‘3 x 30m per week’ if you’re up for it. But I think we should re-define the posting rules….and it would be better if there were more entrants. Perhaps a little ‘publicity campaign’ would be a good idea – starting in mid-December?

What are your thoughts for next year?

Top Bottom