RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Have to say I find this all very amusing. Every ride I go on my Wahoo gives me all the info I need. I really couldn't care less what the RL timing says.

I don't cheat myself and people I ride with know I don't cheat. What else matters?

I found a lot of the bellyaching about the safety car a bit silly, but this really is laughable. Really, who cares what time comes up on the RL website?

If you want an official time for 100 miles, enter a CTT event, not a sportive.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I found a lot of the bellyaching about the safety car a bit silly, but this really is laughable. Really, who cares what time comes up on the RL website?

If you want an official time for 100 miles, enter a CTT event, not a sportive.

I find it very hard to understand these people. Personally I'm hoping to get a good time, it won't be a tragedy if I don't but will be satisfying if I do.

I think I read claims people go out on club rides which exceed 24/25mph average. I think they're having a laugh. Very, very difficult to achieve on open roads, close to impossible in my view.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Does anyone know the best train station for the start line? Coming from Epping on Central line
I don't think this has been replied to?

There's a TFL page which tells you which stations have lifts... Traffic will be light on that Sunday morning.

I would stay on the Central Line.
Ideal destination is Marble Arch with a short ride down Park Lane with views across two parks. But from memory that has steps to negotiate.

Next is Bond St but I can't recall if its free of steps. Avoid the old station at Oxford Circus.

So likely best is Tottenham Court Road, a new station with escalators, the other end of the horrible Oxford Street. Head west and you then have the choice of going down Regents Street or Park Lane.

Enjoy.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

There's a TFL page which tells you which stations have lifts... Traffic will be light on that Sunday morning.

Ideal destination is Marble Arch with a short ride down Park Lane with views across two parks. But from memory that has steps to negotiate.

Next is Bond St but I can't recall if its free of steps. Avoid the old station at Oxford Circus.

So likely best is Tottenham Court Road, a new station with escalators, the other end of the horrible Oxford Street. Head west and you then have the choice of going down Regents Street or Park Lane.

Enjoy.

I'm pretty sure the central line is a no-no for taking bikes as it's a tube line.

From memory you can take bikes on subsurface lines (District, Circle, H&C) and on the Overground but not on tube lines (of which the central is one)

mustang1

Legendary Member

Enjoy.

I didnt think you could take a full size bike on central lone past Leytlon because then the central lone goes under ground. (folding bikes are ok).

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

mustang1

Legendary Member
I'm pretty sure the central line is a no-no for taking bikes as it's a tube line.

From memory you can take bikes on subsurface lines (District, Circle, H&C) and on the Overground but not on tube lines (of which the central is one)

Yeah i think @BRADW will be alright on central line from epping to leytonstone but but then needs to ride the rest of the way.

Alternative could be epping to leytonstone on central lone, then ride to stratford and take the overground into liverpool atreet then ride the rest of the way.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Last edited:

Non-folded cycles​

You can take non-folded cycles on some services at specific times.

Tube​

• Allowed Monday to Friday before 07:30, between 09:30 and 16:00, and after 19:00
  • Allowed anytime on weekends and bank holidays, only on the lines listed below
LineStations allowed
BakerlooBetween Queen's Park and Harrow & Wealdstone
CentralBetween Leyton, Epping and Newbury Park (via Hainault only)
Between White City, Ealing Broadway and West Ruislip
CircleAnywhere
DistrictAnywhere
Hammersmith & CityAnywhere
JubileeBetween Stratford and Canning Town
Between Finchley Road and Stanmore
MetropolitanAnywhere
NorthernBetween Golders Green and Hendon Central
Between Colindale and Edgware
Between East Finchley, Mill Hill East and High Barnet
PiccadillyBetween Oakwood and Cockfosters
Between Barons Court, Hounslow West and Uxbridge

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Yeah i think @BRADW will be alright on central line from epping to leytonstone but but then needs to ride the rest of the way.

Alternative could be epping to leytonstone on central lone, then ride to stratford and take the overground into liverpool atreet then ride the rest of the way.

Yes Leyton is the better option with the bonus of (I think) more frequent trains than go to Newbury Park)

Stratford is then only 1.3 miles away (warning its not a pretty part of London unless you take time to see the New Olympic Park).

From Stratford then Liverpool St where you can ride as above or jump onto The Circle line to Westminster. (This of course appears to make no sense, as large parts of the Circle line also go "underground"! but it is allowed).
(Warning I'm pretty sure there are steps at both Leyton and Stratford, but there's almost certainly a way round them at the latter.)

Finally when using the tube you pass through barriers where you present your ticket. One (usually at the end of a row) is double width and easy to get a bike/pram/wheelchair through. The rest are a comic moment just waiting to happen.

Need to plan ahead.

https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/planned-works-calendar

NB

Special Service - Central line Sunday 29 May​

RMT STRIKE ACTION: There is planned strike action every Friday and Saturday night between 2030 and 0429 the following morning until Sunday 19 June. Central and Victoria lines could be affected. A good service is expected on the Victoria line (including Night Tube). A regular service is expected on the Central line (at least two trains per hour through central London). Please check your travel if you are using these lines before 0600 on Saturday or Sundays. All other Tube lines will run their normal daytime services during these strikes, with the last Tubes in central London leaving around 01:00 and starting again at 05:30.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
(This of course appears to make no sense, as large parts of the Circle line also go "underground"! but it is allowed).
Off topic: The difference is between the subsurface lines and the deep tubes. The subsurface trains are bigger and roomier and the tunnels are way bigger and have more access and emergency procedures are very different.

I recall seeing a video where some bod from TfL explained this. But it all went in one ear and out the other.

Top Bottom