RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
As you say, lots of other options if you just want basic location tracking.

Although other apps might not shows multiple riders (searchable by name); their progress along their choice of route; or the detailed timing info/splits for various checkpoints.

If you were a charity offering a halfway drink/snack stop for your fundraisers, it might be really useful to have detailed tracking.
Ditto for spectators watching several participants.

And a quick look at the app reveals no advertising, just info about RideLondon events, News, Tracking and FAQs.

Actually yes those are very good points. I stand pleasantly corrected! Thank you sir.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
True if you have access to the website but it may be easier to open the app to do this. If I was hanging around London wanting to meet someone I think I'd prefer to open the app then mess about on the RL website. I tried to track my son on the 312 via that website and it was far from simple, yes different company and country but regardless an app would be easier.

Ah, I understand. I was thinking of it all from the rider, or tracked party's point of view, rather than the spectator, or tracker's point of view.

Using the app to see other people's progress vs transponder points (if that's what it does) could be useful.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
True if you have access to the website but it may be easier to open the app to do this. If I was hanging around London wanting to meet someone I think I'd prefer to open the app then mess about on the RL website. I tried to track my son on the 312 via that website and it was far from simple, yes different company and country but regardless an app would be easier.
It should be easy to bookmark someone's tracking page on the website. If they've made that difficult in order to encourage app use, that's even more sus.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Did a simplistic 7 hr test on my phone today and reckon the RL app will last 28 hours if I start with a full battery.

YMMV - my phone has a fairly generous 5,000 mAh battery. Many phone batteries are smaller. The occasional one is significantly larger.

NB, the RL app doesn't currently do tracking, so my test actually had both Strava and RL running together. Strava was recording and beaconing all that time.

I use the Garmin beacon when I go out and don't notice much drain from using it. Would be no problem for a 100m ride.

You could always just use the app to meet up at the beginning then turn it off and back on at the end anyway. I doubt anyone would be using it as they go.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I use the Garmin beacon when I go out and don't notice much drain from using it. Would be no problem for a 100m ride.

You could always just use the app to meet up at the beginning then turn it off and back on at the end anyway. I doubt anyone would be using it as they go.
If we're still talking tracking, it's the spectators/followers that might want see progress through the ride.

Do you have no friends? :tongue:

If we're still talking tracking, it's the spectators/followers that might want see progress through the ride.

Do you have no friends? :tongue:

Hurtful... 😊

My wife would be tracking me if I was running the marathon so she can meet me at the finish and that's only a few hours of racing.

If I was in this which I'm not I suspect she might only check in the last hour or so - it's going to be 5 hours plus and nobody's that interested. I mean who's watching the first 130 miles of Milan San Remo ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just share location for 8 hours on WhatsApp. Simples
Zuckerberg loves you(!)

CXRAndy

Guru
And you prefer Zuckerberg? Wow. Just wow. London Marathon Events are too dodgy for some, while others embrace the Zuck. Full range of views on here!

No I don't use Facebook, WhatsApp is a simple to use messaging/calling system with track features.

Nothing shocking about it. I couldn't care less who owns it

Top Bottom