RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2014!!!) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There were loads on one hill in Surrey somewhere. I did feel a bit embarassed about the mess that was left, and I wasn't near the back! It was the point where they were handing out High5 gels on the side of the road.
Some of it may be "do what the pros do".

But I noticed in the TdF this year (maybe a new innovation, maybe I just never saw it before) that they have "litter zones" and the riders have to hold on to their rubbish until they get there - thus cutting down on litter. THe pro's don't just cast their litter hither and yon.

So maybe this will filter through to the sportive riders? I did notice when out walking near the TdF route in Yorkshire this year that I found (and picked up) several very new gel wrappers (not on the TdF route), which annoyed me a bit.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
TdF riders didn't seem to care that much when we watched them on TV, there was talk of no littering, but I don't remember seeing one save a wrapper for later disposal.

zizou

Veteran
Very enjoyable albeit slightly disappointing weekend. Was out for a short spin on Saturday to make sure my bike was working ok and went into Eat to get a drink and there was a pile of very nice Wilier at the front door...it was Team Colombia having a mid ride coffee, so was good to meet them and get some photos. Later on saw Team Kuota and also a team on Orbea bikes (not sure who this would be though?). The day itself was good, not much more can be said about the rain that hasnt already been said. I was one of many that got a puncture. My first one this year and it was on a new tyre too, just bad luck to happen when it did. That put a bit of a downer on things at the time as did the shortened route and the absence of Box Hill and Leith Hill - for the earlier groups the weather was wet but it wasn't remarkably bad by the time we were at the diversions so at the time i was a little annoyed with the organisers having cut them out and thought they had been overly cautious. An hour or so later when the really heavy rain started along with the flooding then i could see exactly why the decision was made and why it was the right call to make. When i heard the news about the poor guy who died then my feeling of disappointment over getting an insignificant thing like a puncture was quickly put into perspective.

Short video of the finish - more of a lead out than a sprint, i would have cramped up had i stood on the pedals!

sleaver

Veteran
Photos - I was hoping I'd be able to pick one and buy it - looks like I have to buy all of them as a digital pack for (cheapest option) £35.99! Shame...
You can buy single ones but they are about £17. Of course, it doesn't cost them £17 to send you a digital download but it makes the packs more appealing. One for £17 or, currently in my case, 31+ photos for £35.99.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You can buy single ones but they are about £17. Of course, it doesn't cost them £17 to send you a digital download but it makes the packs more appealing. One for £17 or, currently in my case, 31+ photos for £35.99.

No it doesn't cost them £17 to send a download, but it costs that and more to get to the venue, with their very expensive photographic equipment, the training and experience, to sort and upload the photos, to develop the software for the website and to stand out the pissing feckin rain all day to take photos.

sleaver

Veteran
.... and to stand out the ****ing feckin rain all day to take photos.
I suppose we did all pay £50 for the privilege as well :smile:

By the way, I was pointing out the up sale that every decent sales person does rather than bashing them.

Stange

Haven't been on for ages! Anyway, completed the ride in 5hr 46. Was very pleased, my target, even allowing for the removal of the hills was 7 hours. Very pleased I changed from Zaffiro slicks to Rubino pro's the day before, not one mechanical issue at all. My waterproof jacket wasn't waterproof at all. Even at 86 miles it was double my longest ride in 5 years (did 40 miles over Leith Hill and surrounding areas the week before). I could see the sense it taking out the hills, I wouldn't have fancied a flat on the descent of Leith Hill. Box Hill not so much of an issue though for me have ridden it a lot recently.

Most enjoyable moment? Four really, riding to the start from central London, great atmosphere. Out-foxing my fellow riders by using the pavement under the flooded bridge. Steaming passed everyone on a short climb after Newlands, I have always been good at that one, no idea why. And finally the finish. The Mall was great, there's even a decent official photo of me crossing the line.

Issues, my legs let me down, not once was I out of puff or at the limit, but my legs just didn't have the strength on Newlands, I need to cycle more Hills I think. Gel wrappers on the road, it's not hard to tuck them up the hem of your shorts or shove them in your pocket! Someone got the hump with me because I took a tight left hander rather slowly, I was accused of being "all out of shape" which I wasn't. My left elbow aches like hell, legacy of a break 14 years ago.

I spent most of the ride on my own, didn't really speak to anyone and kept out of the way on the left, still enjoyed it though and I will do it again. didn't see any accidents or even near misses, guess I was lucky! Including ride to and from where my car was I did 96 miles. Was a bit annoyed when I noticed that!!

rvw

Guru
On the down side, as my rider number was mostly invisible (on my back, under a waterproof) and my handlebar number was completely invisible (on the stoker's handlebars of the tandem!) I don't yet appear per se in any of the pics.

On the up side, if we decide to get any of the photos we'll only have to pay once...

sleaver

Veteran
My photos are actually looking quite good for once and I have 32 of them at the moment. One of my favourites at the moment is me on my own in front of the Houses of Parliament.

U

User33236

There are currently a dozen photos of me and 19 of Mrs SG all taking well after halfway as neither of us have our rain jackets on. Despite us riding together for the vast majority of the route there is not yet one single image that we are both in.

Top Bottom