RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2015) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Didn't get in. Also a bit saddened at the tone of the magazine, would rather have just had the letter and not the adverts constantly reminding me that I didn't get in. But never mind. Probably not the right year to do it with no road bike of my own currently. Good luck to all those who made it. Hopefully there's next year :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not drop them a note about the magazine with thoughts about how it could be improved? I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback.

Also if not far away why not volunteer as a marshall? I did it last year in leatherhead after having to pull out, was good fun :smile:

PaddyMcc

Über Member
The thing is, I am quite pro-charity. I almost always slip a few coins into whatever chugger happens to cross my path and as an ex-serviceman I do a lot for the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal. For example last year I raised £200 worth of sponsorship for a 100 miler amongst other things. However, I, like most people I am sure, only have a limited circle of friends and colleagues who I can approach for sponsorship, and I have chugged them for three years in a row so I wanted to give them a break and do the Prudential 100 just for the sake of doing it. I looked into the Legion sponsorship side, they want £60 entry (ok) but a commitment to raising £600. SIX HUNDRED POUNDS! FFS, who do they think I am Bob frigging Geldof?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The thing is, I am quite pro-charity. I almost always slip a few coins into whatever chugger happens to cross my path and as an ex-serviceman I do a lot for the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal. For example last year I raised £200 worth of sponsorship for a 100 miler amongst other things. However, I, like most people I am sure, only have a limited circle of friends and colleagues who I can approach for sponsorship, and I have chugged them for three years in a row so I wanted to give them a break and do the Prudential 100 just for the sake of doing it. I looked into the Legion sponsorship side, they want £60 entry (ok) but a commitment to raising £600. SIX HUNDRED POUNDS! FFS, who do they think I am Bob frigging Geldof?
As pointed out up-thread, the RBL will have paid a minimum of £200 per place, plus any additional spend on goodies for their riders and supporters, and on advertising to get riders. That's why they want you to raise £600 for them.

Freds Dad

Veteran
As pointed out up-thread, the RBL will have paid a minimum of £200 per place, plus any additional spend on goodies for their riders and supporters, and on advertising to get riders. That's why they want you to raise £600 for them.

I still can't work out they arrive at a charge of £200 for charities to have riders in there and does the event make a profit and if so where does that profit go to?

srw

I still can't work out they arrive at a charge of £200 for charities to have riders in there and does the event make a profit and if so where does that profit go to?
The £200 is their estimate of what charities will be willing to pay, coming from their experience of running the London Marathon for years. The people who run both the Marathon and Ride London are a charity, so any profit they make from either event goes into the charitable trust, which I believe mostly supports grass-roots and children's sport.

PaddyMcc

Über Member

So why not at least offer the possibility of covering the costs at entry and simply raising what you can for the charity? What if you pay the £60 and simply can't raise the £600?

Norry1

Legendary Member
.......because this is all about making as much money for charity as they can, not making it easy for the maximum number of people. If they didn't ask for the amount they do, there would be masses more applicants for the charity places and they would all have to be balloted as well - and nowhere near as much money would be raised.

srw

...and because for a large, well-known and popular charity like the Legion, for every person who struggles to raise £200 there are a dozen more who will easily raise £2000.

Top Bottom