RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did it last year and it was fantastic. This year was a shambles. You are right, it's not for me anymore - I won't be going back. It's a bad job when you feel safer on open roads with cars travelling at 70mph that with fellow cyclists on closed roads. Unfortunately the attitude and awareness of a good number of cyclists who enter really spoil it.

We(the club team I was in)actually thought in general the road discipline was pretty good considering;the odd nobber(fast and slow:tongue:)for sure but most people kept their discipline,did get a bit worse near the end but that is to be expected after 89 odd miles.It was certainly no worse than other sportives I've done but I do wonder if they have gone over peak capacity now and will have to scale back the numbers next year.

Will try and enter again next year to see if I can get in on my own;would be third time lucky if I do;won't be eligible for a team ride next year now so will be the only hope as I won't be doing a charity ride.

If I don't get in will probably look at a European one instead or something like the Welsh velothon.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Preferring other types of cycling doesn't make them BS. They're not trying to stop you doing this AFAIK, so why be mean to them?

Just giving back, they're being as equally rude about the RLS 100, perhaps you're not reading all the posts.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Probably not. I'm surprised I've not put you on ignore yet ;)

Be my guest, you're under the illusion I give a toss. You've been on my ignore list for months, I occasionally (will I ever learn?) click on the show ignored content button.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I might be tempted to use an ignore list, were such a thing to be properly effective. That would mean no alerts to say someone has posted in a thread, if it is only from someone on ignore; no indication that there is ignored content with an invite to view it; etc.

I agree, it is a bit pointless.

Last edited:
You must have been unlucky as that wasn't my experience. I'll be throwing my hat in the ring again for 2017. 2/2 acceptances this far, so hoping for the hat trick.

Australian_Army_ceremonial_slouch_hat.png

Tim Hall

Not a chance. Did it the last two years and this time it was dangerous. Far too many idiots on bikes with no clue how to ride in a group. Nearly taken out 5 times.

They need to seriously cut the numbers before they have even more deaths.
Although the one fatality this year seems to have been a heart attack, as was the one from the other year. Not sure how cutting numbers would affect that.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If I recall correctly there has been heart attacks on the last three rides, 2014, Newlands Corner, 2015, Leith Hill, 2016 Kingston Bridge. It's blumen tragic but it could have happened at any time to those poor people.

philk56

Guru
If I recall correctly there has been heart attacks on the last three rides, 2014, Newlands Corner, 2015, Leith Hill, 2016 Kingston Bridge. It's blumen tragic but it could have happened at any time to those poor people.
I believe there have been at least 3 fatalities from heart attacks in the London Marathon in recent years. Unfortunately when you get events of this size there is always the risk of that type of incident. However I do think that that numbers on the ride this year reached a tipping point. If the ride runs smoothly there probably wouldn't be a problem but as soon as one or more accidents occur issues start building up. For example being diverted from Leith Hill meant that we caught up with many of the earlier starters, causing more riders to be on the road that would be expected and a bigger range of speeds. This led to bottlenecks at Dorking and elsewhere where we had to dismount and walk due to sheer numbers of riders.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On reflection, the numbers could readily affect the outcome following a heart attack, in that they would make it harder to get treatment for the person as swiftly as they might on a different occasion.
Although more participants should mean more money for the organisers to have more staff around the course able to be closer to any incident and more able to help the emergency services. They wouldn't try to get more money in and still only pay the same staff to handle 30,000 riders as when they had 24,000, would they?

On reflection, the numbers could readily affect the outcome following a heart attack, in that they would make it harder to get treatment for the person as swiftly as they might on a different occasion.
And on reflection cycle lanes slow ambulances getting to the sick too. Any evidence of that or just that you don't like the event?

Top Bottom