RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm in again.

5th rejection out of 5 entries.

Can you lend me your time travel machine so I can find out which other CCers are doing it next year, please? :laugh:

Can you lend me your time travel machine so I can find out which other CCers are doing it next year, please? :laugh:

IMG_3892.JPG

There you are, fill it up before you bring it back. It takes plutonium.

Reactions: mjr

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

It first was run in 2013, then 14, 15, 16, and this rejection for 2017 makes number 5.

Joffey

Big Dosser
If you want to do it still speak to the Spinal Injuries Association - for the last 2 years they have charity places available with no minimum fundraising commitment.

TBH though unless you are starting in the first few waves (by putting a fast time down) I wouldn't do it. I've done it the last few years and been stuck each year for hours behind crashes and medical emergencies. It's not the best organised due to the numbers on the road and there are plenty of idiots who think they are doing the Tour that would like to wipe you out on descents.

Reactions: mjr
If you want to do it still speak to the Spinal Injuries Association - for the last 2 years they have charity places available with no minimum fundraising commitment.

TBH though unless you are starting in the first few waves (by putting a fast time down) I wouldn't do it. I've done it the last few years and been stuck each year for hours behind crashes and medical emergencies. It's not the best organised due to the numbers on the road and there are plenty of idiots who think they are doing the Tour that would like to wipe you out on descents.
It doesn't matter what time you put down, you'll end up in a random wave. I've actually done it in a quick time and had a 'meh' start wave, and been held up ridiculously, got a bad time, and been away in an early wave, it's random, they don't give much consideration to whether you're quick or slow, there's no point. On average, given the nature of the event, the waves become self regulating.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On average, given the nature of the event, the waves become self regulating.
That's rather a polite way of describing some of the language directed at "F-ing C choppers" on last year's ride! :laugh:

I think many of the 100 riders now share the route with the 46 riders from Thames Ditton home at about mile 85 of the 100 and mile 31 of the 46. So if you set off on the 100 at 6am at 19mph, you'll reach the junction about half ten, with 9am-start riders of the 46 ahead of you only if they've averaged over 20.5mph... which sounds reasonable, but the devil's in the detail and adjusting the start times and speeds gives very different results. I think if you got a late 8.45am start for the 100 and blazed a 24mph average, you'd catch a load of 12mph 46ers in the final few miles of the course, which could be tricky if you're already tired from the effort.

So, to summarise: you'll probably have to deal with other riders doing different speeds near the start and near the end, plus by any feed stop to an extent. Riding in traffic is part of cycling, even when it's all bicycles.

steverob

Guru
Thought this was more relevant to the 2018 RL thread, even though it would probably get seen by more people if I put it in the 2017 thread, but hey.

Has anyone entered RideLondon via an 'Amstel Ride Together' application this year, or via whatever the Team Entry thing was called in previous years?

I'm trying to get a group of us from my work organised to ride it next year as a team; we'll be raising money for our chosen charity as well but don't want to be beholden to any minimum fundraising target (which for four people would be in the vicinity of £2500!), so I thought this might be the best way of doing it without having to get incredibly lucky in the ballot. However as these entries are done on a first come first served basis, I was interested to see if anyone has any experience of how quickly it fills up - are they on sale for just a matter of hours, or are there still places available weeks after launch?

I just want to work out how on-the-ball we need to be when it launches. I know it didn't happen until March/April time this year, well after the regular ballot results were announced, so it's just the fear that if we missed out trying to get in this way, then we'd be pretty much out of other options as well.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've been told that they've reduced the number of riders on the 100 slightly in 2017 (from 27000 to 25000 - I've not checked either number), ........

I'm not sure this is correct as the Programme & Final Instructions for 2017 state:

"Due to the complexity of more than 30,000 riders departing Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in a four hour period......"

Rustybucket

Veteran
I've deferred my place from this year, as couldn't train properly because of a bad back and hamstring. I'm now also suffering from a nasty infection and on antibiotics. So it's a good job I already pulled out as feeling like death at the moment! Haven't been on the bike for over 2 weeks and probably won't be back for at least another 2!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
For the first time I think neither of us will enter the ballot for next year.

Top Bottom