RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'll be entering the ballot! Is there a rule against transferring entry, say a friend has to pull out for whatever reason...
Yes.

And you have to show photo-ID to pick up your numbers.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Has anyone here ever started with someone else's number?
Yes, my brother in law had to pull out this year due to a new baby.
He found a friend to ride in his place.
You only need photo is to collect the entry numbers, once that is done anyone can ride although as Vickster says it is technically against the rules.

The logistics of picking up the entry number is the tricky bit if you live outside London

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Surrey gets some grants out of it, doesn't it? That's where I felt Velo Birmingham missed a trick, donating to one existing charity instead of making grants to several local ones.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes.

And you have to show photo-ID to pick up your numbers.

This year a friend, really not me, left her ID in Lancashire. We discovered this 100 miles into the 250 mile drive to ExCel. On arrival at ExCel she simply joined the queue, apologised and showed her bank card. No problem.

Clearly if everyone did this it creates huge difficulty but PRL will understand out of 25,000 people at least one is going to forget!

Regarding using someone else's number anyone considering this needs to think very hard about the implications. In the event of an accident potentially:

Your identity is wrong
If you have a medical condition it could be missed
Medications could be missed
The wrong person contacted in the event of an accident
The correct person not informed

As I recall all the above is supplied on the application form and also completed on the rider number. If the information conflicts on the day there is the potential for real problems.

I understand if it's simply substituting one person for another and only the name is wrong the problem is lessened. However do any of us want to arrive in A&E in a serious condition and the wrong name?

SWSteve

Guru
Regarding using someone else's number anyone considering this needs to think very hard about the implications. In the event of an accident potentially:

Your identity is wrong
If you have a medical condition it could be missed
Medications could be missed
The wrong person contacted in the event of an accident
The correct person not informed

As I recall all the above is supplied on the application form and also completed on the rider number. If the information conflicts on the day there is the potential for real problems.

I understand if it's simply substituting one person for another and only the name is wrong the problem is lessened. However do any of us want to arrive in A&E in a serious condition and the wrong name?

I've found this point confusing for almost every event I have ever completed, despite completing info online, you have to fill in the back of your number...wouldn't any healthcare professional check your bib as opposed to accessing a database?

steverob

Guru
This year a friend, really not me, left her ID in Lancashire. We discovered this 100 miles into the 250 mile drive to ExCel. On arrival at ExCel she simply joined the queue, apologised and showed her bank card. No problem. Clearly if everyone did this it creates huge difficulty but PRL will understand out of 25,000 people at least one is going to forget!

When I registered in 2015, they never actually asked for my ID. For some reason, there was no queue for the range of rider numbers that I was in (while there were anywhere between 3 and 10 people waiting at all the other desks) and so I got seen straight away by two staff who were glad to have something to do at last. I showed them my documents and clearly had my (closed) passport in my hand ready, but they both rushed off in different directions to get together my pieces of kit and when they came back, I can only assume that they both thought the other one had already looked at my passport. So I left without actually needing to use it.

rliu

Veteran
Does it really matter if someone else takes a friend's place? Cycling is meant to be about freedom after all. The event is no more likely to see an accident or injury than a typical day on British roads.

This adherence with IDs is the same mentality behind the Mail reading types who call for all cyclists to pass a test and have a license plate.

Tin Pot

Guru
Does it really matter if someone else takes a friend's place? Cycling is meant to be about freedom after all. The event is no more likely to see an accident or injury than a typical day on British roads.

This adherence with IDs is the same mentality behind the Mail reading types who call for all cyclists to pass a test and have a license plate.
That's horseshit.

Read the posts above.

rliu

Veteran
That's horseshit.

Read the posts above.

I have read them, hence my initial response.

If you want to give reasons for why you don't agree then give them yourself, rather than trying to appeal to some kind of crowd mentality assembled from previous posts.

Tin Pot

Guru
I have read them, hence my initial response.

If you want to give reasons for why you don't agree then give them yourself, rather than trying to appeal to some kind of crowd mentality assembled from previous posts.
Ok, so your post is now moronic. You've ignored all the reasons stated above, you haven't posited why those reasons should be ignored, you've just ignored them completely.

Top Bottom