RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rliu

Veteran
Ok, so your post is now moronic. You've ignored all the reasons stated above, you haven't posited why those reasons should be ignored, you've just ignored them completely.

I have given the main reason - there is no more likelihood of accident and injury than the average day, with cyclists mixing with motor vehicles. Who did you leave your emergency contact or next of kin details with today when you stepped out for your commute to work?

The rules only exist to satisfy the event's insurers. Nothing more nothing less. I feel no compulsion to see the rules as the god given laws of nature.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've found this point confusing for almost every event I have ever completed, despite completing info online, you have to fill in the back of your number...wouldn't any healthcare professional check your bib as opposed to accessing a database?

I agree entirely and very much hope my rider bib number and the medical details I carry everywhere would take priority with the first responders.

I should add I'm epileptic, have two stents and as such am on various medications!! With a medical history I'm probably more sensitive to this issue than most.

Where I think reliance on the bib can go wrong is two fold. My number gets detached from my shirt or my shirt is removed from me** Secondly once in A&E I'd expect the medical staff to be using the NHS database and not a rider bib number.

** I've a friend who had to persuade ambulance staff not to cut off her shirt telling them "have you any idea how much this cost me?"

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have given the main reason - there is no more likelihood of accident and injury than the average day, with cyclists mixing with motor vehicles. Who did you leave your emergency contact or next of kin details with today when you stepped out for your commute to work?
They're on my phone lock screen and a card in my wallet.

IIRC Ride London is about twice as risky as average cycling by some ways of calculating it... which is still pretty safe, of course.

Steelchap

Regular
After failing to get a place in every ballot, i got a charity place this year. Loved it. I think it would be very easy to sneak onto the ride. I know friends have done sections unofficially. thinking this is the way to do it with this years card numbers but temove chips so i don't mess up anyone else's times.

I'm not sure. It seems a bit crap that some people apply for a provisional driving licence just to do a bike ride.
so just catching up (and off topic) the only Government issued photo ID in the UK are the drivers licence and the passport?

(and thus, 15 years ago, just the passport?)

very easy to sneak onto the ride

I think so. I rode about 300 metres of the course this year, and got cheered on by a marshal.

Attention seeker....
OMG. I just thought "that's the automatic response to anything @Markymark posts. Then I checked the post you are quoting.

Laughed hard, even though I had dipped into this thread before.

Much love for foodie and mark(y).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No interest in doing it again, it was fun, but it wasnt all that. I thought the support would be like the London Marathon or an Ironman event.

Definitely worth doing once though :smile:
If it's cheering crowds, adulation and support you want all the way along your ride then the London WNBR is the one.
Also, no registration, no helmet rules, no entry fee.
Plenty don't do it because the competition can be pretty stiff....

Top Bottom