RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I find this in the FAQ a bit puzzling.

The entry fee for the 2018 Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 has increased to £69.00 (including VAT). The entry fee has been held at the same price as 2017.

So ... which is it? Has it been increased or held at the same price? Or was it increased in 2017 and has since been held at the same price?
I thought someone might have mentioned it in the 2017 thread, so did a search for £69. They did, and that someone was me!

Jason

I somewhat doubt having a non-English-looking name is a factor. Avi Mahandru rode fast in 2017, although he had very bad luck with punctures.

I'm not sure what the problem is then, as my neighbour has managed to get the free slot on 2 out of 4 occasions

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm not sure what the problem is then, as my neighbour has managed to get the free slot on 2 out of 4 occasions
80,000 people apply for about 25,000 places (it's varied over the years). We could pretty much predict 2 successes out of the 8 attempts between you two as the most likely result if it was a pure random draw, so why do you think there's a problem?

I think the draw is known to be weighted in some unknown ways (especially in trying to overcome the disproportionately male entries), but we don't know exactly how much. I suspect it's actually pretty slight.

Jason

80,000 people apply for about 25,000 places (it's varied over the years). We could pretty much predict 2 successes out of the 8 attempts between you two as the most likely result if it was a pure random draw, so why do you think there's a problem?

I think the draw is known to be weighted in some unknown ways (especially in trying to overcome the disproportionately male entries), but we don't know exactly how much. I suspect it's actually pretty slight.

just plain unlucky then i guess

mjr

To give people a better chance of being successful why don't they block people from applying if they have rode the year before?
I don't know - why does any lottery not refuse to let winners keep playing? ;)

There may be a better chance of winning, more of the prizes may be something entrants really want and a bigger chunk of profits may go to good causes, but this is still basically a sort of lottery.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not all the places are allocated by the open lottery. They sell charity places, guarantee places if you have to withdraw, have some saved for clubs and give some to celebrities and other VIPs. I suspect that might account for a good third or more of the available slota.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

I suspect that might account for a good third or more of the available slota.
What makes you suspect that? I know there are a heck of a lot of charity jerseys, but equally there's a heck of a lot of persuasion of place-winners to ride for charities and some charity-bought places going unfilled. Has the mix ever been published?

They should give fewer places and definitely less TV time to the slebs IMO. I'm sure there were enough interesting stories to fill the one-hour show for the sportives (at 11am, when some riders hadn't even been going 2 hours yet!) but it felt like we got more stuff about the current and ex-pros from various sports than the usual riders. :sad:

albal

Guru
I,ll enter as usual and fail as usual, tho I,ll be at Dr.Bike as usual a veloteer. Love it, plus I,m guaranteed entry.

Rupie

Über Member
This years London Etape and next years Wales Velothon are posting out entries. Will London ever do this ? Those of us not SE based find it a massive issue and cost having to come and waste a day getting to ExHell for a 10 minute task. Also if they stopped giving the same clubs complementary entry year after year then surely it would be safer. I know people who ride every year and within some clubs it has become a big time trial.

SWSteve

Guru
So...I’ve been rejected from London Marathon, so am hoping I can get my teeth into this instead.

Out of interest, those who have entered the ballot, do you have a number on the realbuzz site when viewing the entry?

Thanks in advance

rugby bloke

Veteran
So...I’ve been rejected from London Marathon, so am hoping I can get my teeth into this instead.

Out of interest, those who have entered the ballot, do you have a number on the realbuzz site when viewing the entry?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, don't use Realbuzz so cannot help. At this stage it's just fingers crossed that I get a place. Best of luck with the ballot.

Buck

Guru
Well I've entered the ballot but in the meantime, I have decided to ride this for charity - I have signed up to ride for Crohn's and Colitis UK - a charity that means something to me and my family.

I now need to start researching travel and hotels - haven't got a clue where's best to stay / commuting from train station to hotel etc.

Top Bottom