RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
Just got the same email. I’ll keep my £250/£500

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Ideally aimed at the aspirational sportive rider with more money than sense. £200 for porridge and a bacon roll? Ha ha.......

The ballot has been closed as it received 80,000 applicants:
I was about to ask rhetorically - why they need guarantee that 60,000 entrants are disappointed each year.? My guess had been because somehow the "commiserations" magazine sold enough advertising to justify it.

But now I have the reason. 5 (approx) years of disappointment to drive this:
The price of the Prudential Ride London-Surrey Club 200 package is £500 for each pair of riders.
200 x £500 = £100,000 for practically no outlay.

Wow. How to make a shitty selection process a little bit shittier.

Reactions: mjr

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As per the London Marathon, it's a case of 'how many ways can we extort cash from the people upon whom we depend?'. See also airports, certain railway companies…It's too much for them to actually show their paying public some respect and consideration.

How many more weeks before I get this year's commiserations mag?

dickyknees

Guru
You have a point.

£250 for a guaranteed place is a cheaper option than a charity place.

So £250 less the entrance fee of £69 leaves £181 for vegan sausages , bananas and celebs etc! Done deal.

vickster

Legendary Member
You have a point.

£250 for a guaranteed place is a cheaper option than a charity place.

So £250 less the entrance fee of £69 leaves £181 for vegan sausages , bananas and celebs etc! Done deal.
But would it not be better to take a charity place and give them the £250 plus any other money you raise for the charity?

The standard entry fee is £58, most charities cover that I think or have a lower fee

Diz

If I get in (5th time of asking) and someone who I ride with does I think I'll keep the £250 and ask the better half to look after some kit for me!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But would it not be better to take a charity place and give them the £250 plus any other money you raise for the charity?

The standard entry fee is £58, most charities cover that I think or have a lower fee
Plenty of the charities seem to offer vegan sausages, some offer celebs, many rent posh central London rooms. I wonder what's the median made from each place.

SWSteve

Guru
Checking in after a little while away from the Internet.

Yes, that £500 entry offer seemed absurd when I saw it also, I wonder if they cherry picked from the employment/sector that was submitted at ballot entry?

Looking forward to see the results of the ballot, and then hoping my mate will put me and my bike up for the night beforehand so I don’t have to shell out on a hotel (dinner for the two of us would be a damn sight cheaper than hotel and the dinner I would end up having anyway...)

Top Bottom