RideLondon2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
I’m still waiting to hear about the ballot place, but I’m in anyway, on the club 200 entry. I wonder what happens if I get in on the ballot as well, I guess it’s a case of deferred entry for next time.
As far as I understood the rules, as soon as you purchase a 200 Club place, they automatically withdraw you from the ballot.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A friend of mine has just received his 'nope' email.

As far as I understood the rules, as soon as you purchase a 200 Club place, they automatically withdraw you from the ballot.
That may have been the deal, as I got my commiseration pack today from the ballot. Never mind, I’m in anyway, with a 6:24 am start ( which was the earliest wave which wasn’t already full ).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I see Jenny Hopper on twatter is very concerned someone else might have her personal ballet details.

Making a song and dance about it, obviously.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just heard from a friend who has just received his third congratulations mag :cursing:. He's not planning on riding this year so he offered me his number. Not tempted because I don't particularly want to do the ride, I just want them to stop rejecting me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Organisers still hoping to hold ride

https://www.prudentialridelondon.co...news/prudential-ridelondon-2020-event-update/

It would seem sensible though to not try to include the 19 & 46, given places haven't yet been allocated?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I admire their optimism.

So do I.

It's likely restrictions may well be eased come August, but unlikely they will be fully removed, which would be required for the ride to take place.

One argument in its favour, although spectator sport has a much better one, is that come easing time the government will be keen for events to take place that will lift the national mood.

So do I.

It's likely restrictions may well be eased come August, but unlikely they will be fully removed, which would be required for the ride to take place.

One argument in its favour, although spectator sport has a much better one, is that come easing time the government will be keen for events to take place that will lift the national mood.
So many ( worldwide ) restrictions would have to be lifted in order for it to go ahead, it would be miraculous if it happened. It’s an event that people come for, from all over the world, so it’s not just this country that would have to lift its restrictions. I’ll eat a bowl of bat soup if it happens this year.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
So many ( worldwide ) restrictions would have to be lifted in order for it to go ahead, it would be miraculous if it happened. It’s an event that people come for, from all over the world, so it’s not just this country that would have to lift its restrictions. I’ll eat a bowl of bat soup if it happens this year.
I don't understand why international restrictions would need lifting for the 100, 46 or 19 to proceed; sportives are only amateur morning rides with a bit of tinsel on.
The Classic and Classique are a different matter (being UCI events), and I believe the Brompton race has some special status too.

However, I agree it's unlikely that any of RideLondon will proceed. Large gatherings risk a further spike in infection rates, so I think we're waiting for the inection to peter out, for herd immunity to emerge, or for a vaccine to arrive. Who knows how long that is?

I don't understand why international restrictions would need lifting for the 100, 46 or 19 to proceed; sportives are only amateur morning rides with a bit of tinsel on.
The Classic and Classique are a different matter (being UCI events), and I believe the Brompton race has some special status too.

However, I agree it's unlikely that any of RideLondon will proceed. Large gatherings risk a further spike in infection rates, so I think we're waiting for the inection to peter out, for herd immunity to emerge, or for a vaccine to arrive. Who knows how long that is?
Lots of riders come from overseas. If the other countries don’t lift the restrictions, the overseas riders can’t get here, or back. They’re also going to need hotels to re open, and for us to have open borders. The loss of the classic would probably also mean the sportives wouldn’t happen.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
That meaning wasn't clear from your previous post - there's no reason why the sportives couldn't proceed without oversea entrants- if covid restrictions were lifted in the uk by that time. I'm sure numbers could easily be made up from the UK.

Whether sponsors would foot the bill for a smaller event (without the UCI races) is another matter.

Anyway, my preference would be an event open to all nationalities. The global community is going to be dominated by blame and finger pointing for years due to Covid19. International sports will help break down those barriers.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom