RideLondon2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That meaning wasn't clear from your previous post - there's no reason why the sportives couldn't proceed without oversea entrants- if covid restrictions were lifted in the uk by that time. I'm sure numbers could easily be made up from the UK.

Whether sponsors would foot the bill for a smaller event (without the UCI races) is another matter.

Anyway, my preference would be an event open to all nationalities. The global community is going to be dominated by blame and finger pointing for years due to Covid19. International sports will help break down those barriers.
Or move it to Sweden. They’ve dealt with it as I would, If I was in the ‘captains seat’.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Or move it to Sweden. They’ve dealt with it as I would, If I was in the ‘captains seat’.

Yessss. If you want to discuss Covid 19 with any seriousness there is a more appropriate thread.
Before you go there, I suggest you look at the graph of deaths in Sweden, which has a familiar steepening curve. Their approach has clearly NOT "dealt with it".

Reactions: mjr
It’s actually fair that they have cancelled it now, rather than later. If they’d left it much longer to make the call, it would have been a lot worse.

Yessss. If you want to discuss Covid 19 with any seriousness there is a more appropriate thread.
Before you go there, I suggest you look at the graph of deaths in Sweden, which has a familiar steepening curve. Their approach has clearly NOT "dealt with it".

what, these graphs you mean? They show that the Swedes very much did the right thing, and have dealt with it, without a draconian lock down, so the Ride London organisers perhaps should have moved it to Sweden ( which would be fine if you live in Sweden ).

steverob

Guru
Cancelled. Refunds to all who have paid (including any withdrawals)
The "sad" like was for them having cancelled it after I'd got in via the ballot, although it was definitely the right thing to do. And talking of right things to do - full refunds for all as well, no cop outs; compare that to some of the stunts other companies have tried to pull (and I'm not just talking about those in the cycling world either).

vickster

Legendary Member
It was the most sensible thing to cancel ride london.I was hoping they could defer riders for this year for the next time(whenever that will be!)but it's not to be.
No, although if it does happen, maybe they’ll offer 2020 entrants first dibs. I’d deferred from last year and to be honest my health isn’t improving. I’m happy to have a refund and then an option to reconsider for 2021 if it does happen

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It was the most sensible thing to cancel ride london.I was hoping they could defer riders for this year for the next time(whenever that will be!)but it's not to be.
Just so I understand, if you got a place for 2020 in the ballot, they'll refund you but you can't carry it forward and will have to enter the next ballot again if you want to do 2021 (or whenever it restarts).

Izzat right?

Edit. Yes it is. Just read the website.
https://www.prudentialridelondon.co...20-prudential-ridelondon-festival-of-cycling/

Will people with places in 2020 Prudential RideLondon be given priority in the 2021 ballot?
No. We cannot offer 2020 riders priority places in a future event as it is quite possible that the entry system and events may be entirely different.

I suppose that's fair enough. Making a clean break with cancellation and refund is probably the best thing to do under the circs.

Last edited:
The great north run has been cancelled but they are offering the 55,000 runner refunds or entry for next year.I still don't understand why the ride london organisers could not have offered this?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The great north run has been cancelled but they are offering the 55,000 runner refunds or entry for next year.I still don't understand why the ride london organisers could not have offered this?
They don't have next year fully planned, there may be some big changes ahead.

As they said on their website We cannot offer 2020 riders priority places in a future event as it is quite possible that the entry system and events may be entirely different.

They don't have next year fully planned, there may be some big changes ahead.

As they said on their website We cannot offer 2020 riders priority places in a future event as it is quite possible that the entry system and events may be entirely different.
As it stands, they really can’t say how it might happen in future. They are holding on the slim chance that a vaccine will be developed and deployed by next year.

Top Bottom