RideLondon2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Can't seem to find my refund, did it come from Ride London, London Marathon Events or Prudential Ride London? I've searched my online account but can't see it
Mine said "RL100Ballott" (their spelling, not mine) next to the refund on the statement. Although it was on July's statement, it had a transaction date of 17th Feb, which I'm guessing is the date I originally paid.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'd prefer Ride London to be hosted by another county than for SCC (Surrey County Council) to diminish the flagship event to a "30 mile inspiration ride". :eek:

Or SCC could show some leadership by involving several counties, each of them taking turns to host the events on new routes. All the counties would enjoy the fruits, but would share the costs & effort.
This would also sustain enthusiasm by keeping the events feeling fresh, without completely abandoning the original route, as inspired by the 2012 Olympics.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I still don't get it. 58% were in favour of continuing but they cancel it. 52% wanted to leave Europe so we went ahead.
Are Tories really bad at Maths?

Reactions: mjr
Where will they go in 2022 after surrey council withdrew?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
TBH I think that may be the end of it. The 100 mile event at least. The associated festival events may well continue, and maybe shorter events. I could be wrong but I think organising a mass participation event that long out of the capital and reaching out into the cycling-hostile home counties may be a bit of a stretch.
The Olympic legacy for the next generation lasted 8 years! The good will of local residents can only last so long.
Having ridden it twice and not ever finished the full 100 miles I can confirm it was a flawed event.
A mass participation running event is so much easier to arrange and is much more compact in nature. The marathon covers a very small area on London, mostly in the business districts. The London 100 covers a huge area. participants from outside London have to arrange overnight accommodation and bike transport. They can’t use public transport to get to the start or finish.

Instead of a mass start, Riders were sent off in waves over 4 hours so it was never a “race”. It’s quite clear that bikes cant operate in densely packed streets and the riders can’t be trusted to act responsibly Plus any small incident resulted in huge delays.

My first ride was during the back end of a hurricane. Nothing worse than most of us have ridden in, but it was unsafe for 1000s of riders hurtling down narrow lanes with deep standing water. That year I was diverted around Leith Hill and Box Hill.

The next time I rode it was on my SS because I had learned the folly of trying to ‘race’. But I got caught in a huge 2 hour backlog after they close the road due to a crash. I was diverted around Leith Hill in order to beat the self imposed course closure time.
Would I be sad to see it go? Yes, because of the novelty of riding on closed roads pretending you’re in the TDF.

But I think these mass events are better aimed at the London-Brighton type riders.

Last edited:
One of the appeals of the RL(beside the closed roads) was the Surrey hills.The only other place like that which is near to london(but not as near as Surrey)would be the Chilterns.
To the north there is nothing to talk of.Going east from the london stadium is Essex.Easy to get to but mostly flat and uninspiring and to the south would be Kent which has some good hills but is quite a way out.
I personally think if they are going to keep it going in the future they will ditch the 100 and concentrate more on the 46 and family friendly rides.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd be sorry to see Ride London go, but as much for the Freecycle as anything else, because I never did the 100 or 46 because of British daffodil-ing's headgear and health rules and a general dislike of the fakey-racey atmosphere of it. It's pretty good seeing streets closed and taken over by bikes but I'm not surprised that the Surrey Hills didn't get enough commercially from it for businesses to help persuade/pressure the residents, as I don't think it was easy enough to get from Surrey hotels over to the 6am start in East London.

A Kent route might be more likely to work in that way, especially if Southeastern can be persuaded to run some Javelin bike specials early on Sunday morning from Kent into Stratford, maybe as part of some promotional deals with hotels out there with bike specials going out to hotels the night before too? Or maybe the good old Victoria/ChX stock would be good enough anyway. But maybe then you annoy some of the East London hotels which have done well from it and they start getting upset about the A12 closure.

Glad I'm not in charge of making the event work!

No reason why they can't continue with the festival. Obviously the longer rides would need replanning but closing the city centre wouldn't be a problem.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Presumably the withdrawal of support by Surrey means that the pro race(s), the self-importantly named "London-Surrey Classic" (yeh, right) will be no more. Izzat so?
I presume so, too. Its successor will probably still be entitled to the Classic label, if there is one, unless another race in southern England seriously ups its game.

Top Bottom