RideLondon2020

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd be sorry to see Ride London go, but as much for the Freecycle as anything else, because I never did the 100 or 46 because of British daffodil-ing's headgear and health rules and a general dislike of the fakey-racey atmosphere of it. It's pretty good seeing streets closed and taken over by bikes but I'm not surprised that the Surrey Hills didn't get enough commercially from it for businesses to help persuade/pressure the residents, as I don't think it was easy enough to get from Surrey hotels over to the 6am start in East London.

A Kent route might be more likely to work in that way, especially if Southeastern can be persuaded to run some Javelin bike specials early on Sunday morning from Kent into Stratford, maybe as part of some promotional deals with hotels out there with bike specials going out to hotels the night before too? Or maybe the good old Victoria/ChX stock would be good enough anyway. But maybe then you annoy some of the East London hotels which have done well from it and they start getting upset about the A12 closure.

Glad I'm not in charge of making the event work!

cougie uk

No reason why they can't continue with the festival. Obviously the longer rides would need replanning but closing the city centre wouldn't be a problem.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Presumably the withdrawal of support by Surrey means that the pro race(s), the self-importantly named "London-Surrey Classic" (yeh, right) will be no more. Izzat so?

mjr

Presumably the withdrawal of support by Surrey means that the pro race(s), the self-importantly named "London-Surrey Classic" (yeh, right) will be no more. Izzat so?
I presume so, too. Its successor will probably still be entitled to the Classic label, if there is one, unless another race in southern England seriously ups its game.

OP
icowden

icowden

Über Member
I'd be sorry to see Ride London go, but as much for the Freecycle as anything else, because I never did the 100 or 46 because of British daffodil-ing's headgear and health rules and a general dislike of the fakey-racey atmosphere of it. It's pretty good seeing streets closed and taken over by bikes but I'm not surprised that the Surrey Hills didn't get enough commercially from it for businesses to help persuade/pressure the residents, as I don't think it was easy enough to get from Surrey hotels over to the 6am start in East London.
Yes, the support was only in favour of it by significantly more than favoured Brexit, so obviously ignoring the result was the way to go...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm based in Lancashire and entered the Ride London ballot every year. I only got in once and had an absolutely brilliant weekend. I'll miss having the possibility of riding again as I'd really like to.

The safety criticism of the event surprises me. The spots I thought dangerous were the Newlands Corner descent and both the ascent and descent of Leith Hill. Some folk descended those two at ridiculous speeds. The Leith ascent was a problem because so many riders found it necessary to dismount. The rest of the course was easy to navigate safely though crowded in places.

For many who visit from outside London and general south-east area the attraction is closed roads, a decent route and a weekend away. I don't think the "Surrey Hills" are a particular draw - mainly because we ride far harder hills every week. Fundamentally it's just a very good ride.

If the organisers came up with a similar event I'd be happy to enter. I think though without the Olympic angle it would be difficult to sell to many people.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For many who visit from outside London and general south-east area the attraction is closed roads, a decent route and a weekend away. I don't think the "Surrey Hills" are a particular draw - mainly because we ride far harder hills every week. Fundamentally it's just a very good ride.

If the organisers came up with a similar event I'd be happy to enter. I think though without the Olympic angle it would be difficult to sell to many people.
Yes, I think Box Hill might have some cachet from the Olympic connection so it's a climb people like to tick off, even if it's actually not much of a climb itself. The rest of the Surrey Hills are a draw if you happen to be in SW London, but apart from that ... meh. I think the main draw of the route itself is probably the London tourist things like Buckingham Palace etc.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes, I think Box Hill might have some cachet from the Olympic connection so it's a climb people like to tick off, even if it's actually not much of a climb itself. The rest of the Surrey Hills are a draw if you happen to be in SW London, but apart from that ... meh. I think the main draw of the route itself is probably the London tourist things like Buckingham Palace etc.
I think that's correct about Boxhill though in reality it isn't much of a climb. I suspect Leith is harder but it was so crowded the challenge was to stay on the bike. I managed to push through at around 2-3mph.

Still Leith Hill and Boxhill are in the top 💯 so I have them ticked off.

mjr

I think that's correct about Boxhill though in reality it isn't much of a climb. I suspect Leith is harder but it was so crowded the challenge was to stay on the bike. I managed to push through at around 2-3mph.

Still Leith Hill and Boxhill are in the top 💯 so I have them ticked off.
The attraction of Box Hill is the hairpins... but not a lot of folk know that there is a hairpin-filled climb (and descent with maybe two) on NCN 1 north of London near Nazeing. It's tiny! But such a giggle with a group of you spread out up it! :laugh:

Based on talking to participants, I would agree that the main draw is the Chelsea Embankment - Parliament - Whitehall - Trafalgar Square - Admiralty Arch - Mall run-in. I think there was one year (maybe the first?) where the Freecycle took the same route, but most years it has been reversed so that it isn't a spoiler for the paying riders :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The attraction of Box Hill is the hairpins... but not a lot of folk know that there is a hairpin-filled climb (and descent with maybe two) on NCN 1 north of London near Nazeing. It's tiny! But such a giggle with a group of you spread out up it! :laugh:
There's a brilliant little climb with hairpins on a cyclepath in St Joseph's Park, Cardiff. The Alpe d'Huez of Penarth.
1612647326690.png

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom