Riders in the mist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Er No, the bottom line is you're BOTH breaking the law if you're riding without lights in poor visibility. I agree, you are correct, drivers SHOULD slow down BUT if a cyclist has no lights he SHOULD dismount. Sorry to say,as the OP found out there are a fair number of cyclists out there with a massive chip on their shoulder who don't believe the rules apply to them.

There's no need to shout. I'm aware that the cyclists should have had lights, and I also think it is a no-brainer to carry a small rear light. But the reason I used the phrase "the bottom line" is because if a car driver is taking sufficient care, he will not hit anyone regardless of how unwisely they are riding. Most groups of cyclists will use lights in the fog, and not doing so is mainly a compromise to their own safety - whereas driving too fast for the conditions is endemic and endangers others. I'm merely talking about putting the onus on the more dangerous party.

Sandra6

Veteran
They are ok, Sandra: I had a set the whole of last winter (9 months here :laugh:) One is still going strong, but I will change the battery just in case, the rear one's rubber grip snapped, probably because I kept unhooking it to put it on another bike.

I'm dithering already, ordered them in black as white was out of stock, and now I'm not sure I want black lights on my white bike.
That makes me a total girl doesn't it?! ^_^

Octet

Veteran
Put it this way, it is a two way street (excuse the pun). As a cyclist you are legally required to have amber reflectors on the pedals, a red reflector and a red light on your bicycle if cycling in poor visibility. It is equally the law, that a driver should take due care when driving in poor visibility.

Best to be safe, then sorry. Carry a light and reflective/bright clothing and never assume that other road users are going to abide by the law.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm dithering already, ordered them in black as white was out of stock, and now I'm not sure I want black lights on my white bike.
That makes me a total girl doesn't it?! ^_^
Wait until they get the white back? Even though black and white match well :smile:

Sandra6

Veteran
Wait until they get the white back? Even though black and white match well :smile:
I'm so impatient, it'll be next Friday -if ever - before they get new stock.
I could always see if they'll get them for me, but I am trying to wangle a free repair out of them at the moment anyway. Don't want to push my luck.
Black and white is quite retro?!

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
Been an interesting read of the responses, and as I myself cycle commute 30 to 40 miles a day, and ride at the weekends, I am very aware of when I need lights on - in fact my rear light is often on even in good conditions cycling home as I travel the 60mph A36 south of Bath. (I use the Smart 1 watt and the smart 1/2 watts... loads of light)

It should be noted that I observed the other vehicle and it behaved very responsibly around the cyclists and didnt deserve the gestures, and I myself gave lots of room and tried to let them know the fact they were invisible and at risk - for all the good it did me.

We do like to preach to drivers as cyclists, always the underdog and battling the world and all its ills - but we really have to take more responsibility for our own safety and listen when folk point out the daftness of our behaviour.

But I guess these muppets just saw me as the idiot in the big pick up who does't have a clue, and not as me the cyclist who probably covers more miles a year than them.

Still, as I say, this is why we have evolution :smile:

sidevalve

Über Member
There's no need to shout. I'm aware that the cyclists should have had lights, and I also think it is a no-brainer to carry a small rear light. But the reason I used the phrase "the bottom line" is because if a car driver is taking sufficient care, he will not hit anyone regardless of how unwisely they are riding. Most groups of cyclists will use lights in the fog, and not doing so is mainly a compromise to their own safety - whereas driving too fast for the conditions is endemic and endangers others. I'm merely talking about putting the onus on the more dangerous party.
Not shouting, simply stressing the point that, as numbnuts says the rules apply all round, and they are laws not recomendations. Stop in the distance you can see to be clear applies to cyclists too and yet we do hear of riders hitting things, even running into the back of a car is the fault of the.following vehicle [whatever it may be] trying to excuse it by saying "oh he braked hard" [assuming he didn't just do it on purpose] doesn't work.
Just blaming the driver is on par with just blaming the cyclist if he hits a pedestrian, whatever the circumstances.
I agreed with you about the speed but to always blame the larger vehicle is wrong, the HGV driver for example would always to be guilty whatever happend.
Lastly as the OP demonstrated large groups of cyclists don't follow the rules and my real point was a simple one, don't cry about someone else breaking the law if you break it youself.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Black and white is quite retro?!
I am retro :blush:

It's certainly advisable to carry a rear light, and with the weather as it is it isn't rocket science to to know that visibility might reduce over the course of a ride. It does seem remarkable that in a group of 20 no-one had a rear light! But the bottom line is that people drive far too fast - for all conditions, but they rarely slow down anything like enough when it is misty or foggy. Drivers should be going slowly enough that they can stop safely in the distance they can see to be clear.

This is a good point. A pedestrian crossing the road or a fallen tree will be unlit.

I dislike seeing any road user unlit when a lamp or two might make life easier for everyone else.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
This is a good point. A pedestrian crossing the road or a fallen tree will be unlit.

I dislike seeing any road user unlit when a lamp or two might make life easier for everyone else.

Yes, but it's worth remembering that the CTC campaigned vigorously against compulsory lighting for cyclists in the first place - not because we need to wind back the clock (we are in a different place now, with cheap reliable rear lighting very simple to obtain) but because it might focus our minds a little on how much we have already conceded.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went to the pub last night on my bike. The very bright multi function rear light i bought on Saturday cost £2.45, which is less than a pint of overpriced ale!:cheers:
The fog and damp came down, which was a bit unusual for August. Anyway, i noticed that most if not all cars gave me a wide berth, so even in the fog it's a decent(if not long lasting)rear light!:thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Totally agree: why take lights off your bike anyway?
Because if I don't take them off ... someone else will:sad:

I own lots of duplicate lights of the smart sort. Reason being I can usually leave a rear light or two in a pannier just in case I get caught out. Of course sometimes you get caught out with out a pannier^_^ but not very often!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry to sound a note of disagreement but for me, high-viz clothing is the modern equivalent of the Saint Christopher medal stuck to the dashboard; nothing more than a juju for the superstitious. If a muppet driver is texting or chatting on their mobile and not concentrating, no amount of high viz will make any difference; they are simply not seeing the hazards in front of them.

Top Bottom