Riders in the mist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
Hahaha well my pick up is or can be 4 wheel drive, and a darned practical vehicle it is too for the job and the rural location.

If theclaud has issues with that then she is welcome to come carry a red flag and walk in front :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If theclaud has issues with that then she is welcome to come carry a red flag and walk in front :smile:

FTFY

Sandra6

Veteran
I've got my cute little frog lights now. I'm thinking it won't be wise to leave them on the bike when I chain it up though. Lucky they are so small and will fit in my pocket.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got my cute little frog lights now. I'm thinking it won't be wise to leave them on the bike when I chain it up though. Lucky they are so small and will fit in my pocket.
Mr Summerdays left his on his bike - but it was only ever locked up in the bike shed at work or home, whereas mine is locked up all over the place so I always remove those sort of bits off the bike when I lock it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not meaning to upset anyone, but any of these 'backup' type bike lights, Knogs etc, are totally rubbish in fog and mist - they don't have the power. You ideally need a 1/2 watt LED to punch through the murky air.

I've seen many a cyclist with bog standard light be virtually invisible in these conditions - I spot the rider before the light.

Sandra6

Veteran
Fair point fossyant, but I'm unlikely to be riding in anything like that. I call Mr6 to pick me up if it's raining too hard as it is. :blush:
I'm thinking they'll do to make me more visible if it does rain -a bit - and in the autumn when I'm cycling after 5 I'll get a bigger light so I can actually see where I'm going too.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not meaning to upset anyone, but any of these 'backup' type bike lights, Knogs etc, are totally rubbish in fog and mist - they don't have the power. You ideally need a 1/2 watt LED to punch through the murky air.

I've seen many a cyclist with bog standard light be virtually invisible in these conditions - I spot the rider before the light.
Aye, the frogs are extras. Mind, we rarely get fog here, it's mostly misty rain :laugh:

hoopdriver

Guru
There's no need to shout. I'm aware that the cyclists should have had lights, and I also think it is a no-brainer to carry a small rear light. But the reason I used the phrase "the bottom line" is because if a car driver is taking sufficient care, he will not hit anyone regardless of how unwisely they are riding. Most groups of cyclists will use lights in the fog, and not doing so is mainly a compromise to their own safety - whereas driving too fast for the conditions is endemic and endangers others. I'm merely talking about putting the onus on the more dangerous party.
Not really so. I see what you mean - sorta - but riding in the fog with no lights is just begging to be hit. I myself have nearly run into the back of an unlit cyclist in a fog and I was proceeding very carefully - on my bicycle! A car going 30mph - and the speed lmit was faster than that - would surely have creamed the guy.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
When I'm in the car, and I see a cyclist with a light that seems to show up really well, I often want to wind down the window and as them what it is (as a passenger), but I know it would probably just some as though I was yelling abuse at them instead :blush:. Definitely some lights work better than others.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Not really so. I see what you mean - sorta - but riding in the fog with no lights is just begging to be hit. I myself have nearly run into the back of an unlit cyclist in a fog and I was proceeding very carefully - on my bicycle! A car going 30mph - and the speed lmit was faster than that - would surely have creamed the guy.

When you say "nearly"...

You misunderstand me. I am not advising cyclists not to use lights in fog. But if you run into the back of anything, you are, by definition, too fast or too close. Drivers slow down a bit in fog, but most of them do not slow down anything like enough. I'm just putting the onus on those who represent the danger to others.

Top Bottom