Ridgeback day 00, back derailluer cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User65906

Hi everyone, am new to the site, and new to cycling.
I bought a Ridgeback day 00 hybrid, it has 700c X 25 Maxxis tires
on Shimano 500 wheels, these are original according to the booklet
that came with it.
It has an alloy frame, 24 speed, with straight bars.
It has done ten miles since new and I got it cheap.
I need some information on finding and replacing the back derailluer cable cover.
The bike sat so long the cover cracked a few inches above the stopper on the side
of the top tube, does anyone know if a special cable was used, the outside cable
dimension looks thinner than normal, or can I just go to a cycle shop and ask for
some cable sleeve, the bike changes gear no trouble, but the cables housing is
the issue, being so stiff it cracked, looks like a hard plastic outer with the cable
sliding inside it, I read that most cable covers are either specifically for derailleur or brake,
and in either case there is an inner guide of steel, either coiled for brakes, or stranded
for derailleur 's so to not lengthen or shorten when the cable housing is moved.

Any advise on how to go about changing this cracked outer sheath would be much
appreciated, even what brand of internal wire cable or outer cover is best, will last
a good while, for like everything else am sure some offerings are to be avoided.

Thanks and regards to all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
@Silvercycler I'm no expert on this, although I've replaced the brake/derailleur cables several times on my commuter bike. My best suggestion for now is to post a photo of the cables you just described, which will no doubt help the experts among us to help you with the problem.

Regards,

--- Victor.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd just go buy a derailleur cable inner with outer set and if you're really sure the inner is OK (inspect it for corrosion and damage while replacing the outer), keep the new one until needed. I like jagwire slick sets but I'm sure others are good too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As for how to replace, put the derailleur to the smallest cog, undo the cable clamp on it and thread the whole thing back towards the shifters. Some bikes have slots on the cable holders to make removal easier than pushing the whole thing back through but others don't. Then fitting is the reverse.

Getting the cable clamp tension correct and indexing reset can be fiddly but there are good videos from the likes of arts cyclery on YouTube or instructions from Sheldon Brown or Park Tool websites.

If there's any bit you're unsure of, post pictures of it.

OP
OP
U

User65906

Thanks you all for posting, I will take a picture and add it here later,
I think I will have to measure the outer cable cover, for it looks really thin
at just over 5mm in diameter,
this is the worrying part, as this outer cover has to fit into the retainers on the frame,
so will need to be right diameter .

I looked at some video of changing the cable cover and see small collars being pushed
over the cover where it enters the lugs on the frame also, and this will of course
cause the cable to be too big to sit into the frame lugs.
The cable cover is also in sections, one at the back
deraillleur, and one from the gear leaver that comes back ways down the frame a bit,
the middle section being open where the cable its self is visible.
I suppose I will also need to measure the cable thickness, as I see different ones available.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the bike has been standing for a while you might want to remove all the cables and grease them, rust forms quickly in metal cable housings.

You'll also need a cutter for the cables and outers. A multi tool might be useful too. Don't forget some ferrules for the cable ends. If they fray after cutting just twist them between your fingers to realign them.

As above YouTube is your friend when setting up the derailleur.

Good luck.

Edit: All cables will be the same diameter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User65906

Hi Cycleops
I will probably need to change all the cables, but not knowing if there are different outside diameters
and even inside cable diameters of cables, it wont be easy for me to order the parts.
I do not know what ends are on the cables where they attach to the gear shifters, so have posted a few
images that may help those in the know understand what the bike looks like, and what cables would be
suitable, am thinking to use a good grade shifter cables, like Shimano 105, but will these fit onto the
shifters already on this bike, they are Shimano, but what model I have no idea, and when they come
will they have enough parts to complete the task, if not what should I order as I do not want to send
off for half the parts and have to pay postage and wait for the rest to come.
May be the images I post will help answer this.
The brakes and the shifter cables seem free to me, no catching or roughness so my immediate concern
will be to replace only the two shifter cables.

If the bike has been standing for a while you might want to remove all the cables and grease them, rust forms quickly in metal cable housings.

You'll also need a cutter for the cables and outers. A multi tool might be useful too. Don't forget some ferrules for the cable ends. If they fray after cutting just twist them between your fingers to realign them.

As above YouTube is your friend when setting up the derailleur.

Good luck.

Edit: All cables will be the same diameter.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All cables will fit, the only thing to note is different types are for the brakes and the gear cables as you correctly my pointed out.
You can buy in Halfords or Decathlon if you want to shop on the high street.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You are right, there are different sizes but if you buy gear outer cable it will be right. Don't be tempted to get 'universal' cable though, it's OK on 5-6 speed but not on 7 or more.

OP
OP
U

User65906

I1.jpg

OP
OP
U

User65906

All cables will fit, the only thing to note is different types are for the brakes and the gear cables as you correctly my pointed out.
You can buy in Halfords or Decathlon if you want to shop on the high street.
Thanks, this bike is a hybrid, so I have no idea whether the cable is mountain bike or road,
or maybe all the ends up at the shifter are the same, the images I posted may help someone
in the know identify the set up on the bike, the back is sora, there are no such markings on
the front shifter, and from what I see on-line, this bike should not even have the tires it does,
yet the delivery documentation states the tyres are the original brand, so not sure what to
believe regarding the model of shifter, thus difficult to look up cables with the correct ends.

Top Bottom