Ridgeback day 00, back derailluer cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User65906

You are right, there are different sizes but if you buy gear outer cable it will be right. Don't be tempted to get 'universal' cable though, it's OK on 5-6 speed but not on 7 or more.
I will avoid the universal type cables, thanks.
When you say different sizes, are you referring to outer cover diameter, inner cable diameter
or length of cable and cover.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
All cables will fit, the only thing to note is different types are for the brakes and the gear cables as you correctly my pointed out.
You can buy in Halfords or Decathlon if you want to shop on the high street.

I've been very happy with 'specifically' gear cables from Decathlon. You can buy inner and outer gear cable. What I like about the outer is that often I only use about 1/2 which effectively makes it 1/2 the price. Take off the section you are replacing and then just cut that much off the new (outer) cable. Based on that picture of your bike it looks like the section at the rear derailleur looks perfectly ok. I would only replace the sections which need replacing.

Speaking personally, if the gears were working and even though there is a visible crack in the outer cable I would just tape it over with black insulation tape (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) but obviously without seeing the bike I cannot judge. Good luck. :-)

One thing I would invest in though is a pair of decent cable cutters. It has become one of my favourite tools. Something similar to the link below. Cutting inner/outer cable with pliers is a nightmare.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverli...727996&hash=item5904a5baa3:g:CogAAOSwBRFaTMop

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I will avoid the universal type cables, thanks.
When you say different sizes, are you referring to outer cover diameter, inner cable diameter
or length of cable and cover.
The diameter is different (gear inner and outer is thinner) you also mentioned the ferrules on the ends of the cable they are different diameters too but you can probably re-use them.

OP
OP
U

User65906

Thanks Cycleops and raleighnut, I will buy the pliers to ensure a good clean cut.
Halfords here in Ireland have only a mountain bike gear cable, they have universal
and cheap brands too though would like to avoid them.
I only bought that bike yesterday, only a couple of very small marks on it, it definately
was indoors for a long time, the cable covers are like glass, one cover can be seen snapped
up at the handlebar area not far from the frame lug.
I will check out the shifting again, and ensure all is lined up and working before I go and
get cables, I am expecting a Canyon ultimate cf 7 sl today, so will be checking it out first.
I was actually considering a Canyon alloy Endurce 7 with 105 in their sale when this Ridge
back came up at silly money, saved myself a pretty penny, as I only want this bike as a
wet weather alternative, I have a Voodo Agwa, christened the humain killer, 13.6 kg,
comfortable enough, but slow unless one wants to punish ones self for little reward.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
U

User65906

Ok canyon assembled, all but setting seat height.
Waiting on new pump to arrive to blow up the Ridgeback
and test her on the tar, before I take off the cracked cable,
I will change it as a learning experience, and leave its twin
brother until it cracks or causes issues.
thanks to all who posted, at least now I know what tools
to get, and what components I need, and what to watch out for.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you have one, your local bike shop will sell you the correct cables and outers you need, the latter cut to the lengths you need, and ferrules to go over the ends of the outers. You can do all the fitting, with cable cutters mentioned above.

Top Bottom