Ridgeback Panorama. (To Hull & back)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tombo 707

I have just got back a tour from Shetland to Hull & back on my new Ridgeback Panorama fully loaded. I was not a 100% confident this bike would be up to the job in hand. I must say Ridgeback are onto a winner with this bike. It has a great build and has a great selection of components. I am 6' 2" and 15 stone and whith a 25 kg payload I had no mechanical problems or broken spokes. I was going to go for a galaxy. I called at a cycle shop in Dingwall on the way who happend to be a Dawes dealer and he was well impressed with the value and build of my bike. I cant wait for my next outing.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hull?.........Hull?..........Why on earth to Hull of all the places on earth?!

Tombo 707 said:
So can we be freinds fellow cyclist? and forget about our birthplace or is you are avid Dawes Galaxy fan.

Methinks it was simply getting used to the Forum style - Any mention of Hull (or Swindon!) gets a a similar response - no insult to the person, simply a comment about theplace as a destination.

Anyway - back to Ridgeback.

I had a frame failure outside Glasgow when I was doing the Lochs and Glens. Summed up the losses of abandoning (train fares, hotel deposits) and decided that to buy a relatively cheap bike and continue was justifiable.

Bought a fully equipped Ridgeback speed, and rode it for the rest of the tour. Still have it as a reliable backup and "hack" when I don't want to risk some of the others.

Ridgeback have a good range and they certainly seem to do the job.

Bigtallfatbloke

Cool..well done on your first trip. I dont know Hull..never been there, but I amsure the ride was the best bit. Shetland is somewhere I would like to go, looks nice on TV anyway lol!

...so where next?

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Shetland is somewhere I would like to go, looks nice on TV anyway lol!

...so where next?

Unlike Hull?

Why not start from Hull?

I started many years ago with the North Sea Cycleway as defined by the New Riders of the Open Road, which was from Berwick to Hull. I have now completed the entire English coast / borders plus parts of Scotland.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
and which parts are the best?...

All of it!

The view to Bamburgh Castle, Lindisfarne on a summer evening, watching the sunset in Kent, a nice little cliff top pub down a quiet side road in Cornwall. Stonking along a flat road that goes on for miles in the Fens. The long blasts downhill in the Lake District.

That is the problem / curse of touring - just when you have found the ultimate experience.................... along comes something even better!

Oh.......................... and Hull wasn't that bad!

Danny

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
Hull?.........Hull?..........Why on earth to Hull of all the places on earth?!
If you live in the Sheltands, Hull probably seems like the centre of civilisation :smile:

By the way, welcome Tombo.

just jim

I doubt a Shetlander would say that. A bit of oil money goes a long way.

From the Wiki, laddie:

"Income from oil, and the improved economic state that oil-related development has brought, has resulted in reduced emigration and vastly improved infrastructure throughout Shetland, leading to an improved quality of life."

Top Bottom