1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ridgeback Panorama. (To Hull & back)

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Tombo 707, 19 Jun 2008.

1. Tombo 707

Tombo 707 New Member

I have just got back a tour from Shetland to Hull & back on my new Ridgeback Panorama fully loaded. I was not a 100% confident this bike would be up to the job in hand. I must say Ridgeback are onto a winner with this bike. It has a great build and has a great selection of components. I am 6' 2" and 15 stone and whith a 25 kg payload I had no mechanical problems or broken spokes. I was going to go for a galaxy. I called at a cycle shop in Dingwall on the way who happend to be a Dawes dealer and he was well impressed with the value and build of my bike. I cant wait for my next outing.

2. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Hull?.........Hull?..........Why on earth to Hull of all the places on earth?!

3. OP
    OP
    Tombo 707

Tombo 707 New Member

Because its not full of dickheads like you! find a reply for that one smart arse.

4. OP
    OP
    Tombo 707

Tombo 707 New Member

Codhead V Yellowbelly.

5. Gerry Attrick

Oooooooooh.....*draws virtual handbag to gob level*. Was it not a civil question? (Such venom from one with few posts). *whispers aside* "Watch it, we've got a prickly one here."

6. OP
    OP
    Tombo 707

Tombo 707 New Member

So can we be freinds fellow cyclist? and forget about our birthplace or is you are avid Dawes Galaxy fan.

7. Gerry Attrick

No edge to my comment Tombo. A belated welcome to the forum. Actually, Mrs A has a Ridgeback Velocity which she loves.

8. OP
    OP
    Tombo 707

Tombo 707 New Member

Thankyou!

9. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Methinks it was simply getting used to the Forum style - Any mention of Hull (or Swindon!) gets a a similar response - no insult to the person, simply a comment about theplace as a destination.

Anyway - back to Ridgeback.

I had a frame failure outside Glasgow when I was doing the Lochs and Glens. Summed up the losses of abandoning (train fares, hotel deposits) and decided that to buy a relatively cheap bike and continue was justifiable.

Bought a fully equipped Ridgeback speed, and rode it for the rest of the tour. Still have it as a reliable backup and "hack" when I don't want to risk some of the others.

Ridgeback have a good range and they certainly seem to do the job.

10. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

Cool..well done on your first trip. I dont know Hull..never been there, but I amsure the ride was the best bit. Shetland is somewhere I would like to go, looks nice on TV anyway lol!

...so where next?

11. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Unlike Hull?

Why not start from Hull?

I started many years ago with the North Sea Cycleway as defined by the New Riders of the Open Road, which was from Berwick to Hull. I have now completed the entire English coast / borders plus parts of Scotland.

12. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

and which parts are the best?...

13. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

All of it!

The view to Bamburgh Castle, Lindisfarne on a summer evening, watching the sunset in Kent, a nice little cliff top pub down a quiet side road in Cornwall. Stonking along a flat road that goes on for miles in the Fens. The long blasts downhill in the Lake District.

That is the problem / curse of touring - just when you have found the ultimate experience.................... along comes something even better!

Oh.......................... and Hull wasn't that bad!

14. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

If you live in the Sheltands, Hull probably seems like the centre of civilisation :smile:

By the way, welcome Tombo.

15. just jim

just jim Guest

I doubt a Shetlander would say that. A bit of oil money goes a long way.

From the Wiki, laddie:

"Income from oil, and the improved economic state that oil-related development has brought, has resulted in reduced emigration and vastly improved infrastructure throughout Shetland, leading to an improved quality of life."