Ridgeback Solo (2009) or Specialized Langster (2010)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crumpetman

I fancy a new single speed and these two are available for £400 each.

I have been eyeing up the Solo for a little while thanks to posts by clarion and Redbike. It has mudguards fitted and has a steel frame and carbon fork. Looks like it should be comfy for my 12 mile each way ride to work.

The Langster is a fair bit lighter, possibly as much as 1.5kg but does not take mudguards easily and might be too rigid for a 12 mile commute about half of which the roads are open and quiet (by that I mean not many traffic lights or cars)

I only thought of the Langster as it is available at the same price (not including the extra for mudguards/crud catchers) and the weight of it really appeals.

Any opinions as to why one might be better than the other?

The Eighth Man

have look at this. I had a look at one in Royles today they are lovely, only went in for a gear cable and nearly came out with a new bike

RedBike

These are two very different bikes to ride. The Langster feels light and nimble but the Ridgeback is more like a touring bike that someones fitted with track dropouts. For comfort or riding with a loaded pannier rack the Ridgeback wins hands down but if its all about performance then go for the Langster. BTW, Don't forget that its harder to get you bum off the saddle / make sudden turns while riding fixed. So if you're as bad at riding fixed as I am then you'll end up bumping straight through far more pot holes than normal.

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

Thanks Lee and Redbike. For either bike I would probably ride it free rather than fixed, don't know if that makes a difference to recommendations.

Tried fixed with mine for a couple (or three) months and did like it very much but I have since changed my route to avoid a crap cycle path and now I have a rather steep descent on the way home. Anyone familiar with bread and cheese hill in Benfleet, Essex? I went down it a couple of times on fixed gear and it scared the crap out of me. Granted I was not using SPDs then, I have since tried SPDs but am back on flats for the moment.

So my bike is setup for free wheel at the moment and I won't try fixed again until I get a geared bike. The new single speed will probably then be set aside for winter. Again, not sure if that makes a difference for which bike to go for.

Not sure about cross bikes The Eighth Man, plus it's another £100 anyway and I think I'd have to change the tyres straight away.

I have had a quick go on a Specialized Allez which I really liked and I think I read a review of the Langster that said it's basically an Allez without the gears so if that is true then that is pointing me more towards the Langster. Now to do some more googling to find which guards will fit.

Cheers again for the info guys and I shall keep an eye Redbikes Solo on ebay.

RedBike

Tried fixed with mine for a couple (or three) months and did like it very much but I have since changed my route to avoid a crap cycle path and now I have a rather steep descent on the way home. Anyone familiar with bread and cheese hill in Benfleet, Essex? I went down it a couple of times on fixed gear and it scared the crap out of me. Granted I was not using SPDs then, I have since tried SPDs but am back on flats for the moment.
Steep hills in Essex? I fitted top bar mounted cyclo-x style brake levers to my solo so that I could easily drag a brake on the steeper hills. I would definately stick with spds when riding fixed / single speed. They help pulling up on the pedals to heave your way up steep climbs and they help with leg braking.
So my bike is setup for free wheel at the moment and I won't try fixed again until I get a geared bike. The new single speed will probably then be set aside for winter. Again, not sure if that makes a difference for which bike to go for.
If you've got a geared bike for those quick summer runs then its probably worth setting this new bike up specifially for commuting / winter. IN other words, full length guards, wider tyres, and a pannier rack. You can get sks guards on the Langster if you use narrow tyres and you're really patient, but it's probably easier to use the new crud guards. The Ridgeback has got loads of clearance. I've had 30mm tyres and guards on mine.

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

Well it's not a proper hill, it is very short and steep. Going up is ok but coming down I like to free wheel it and have a little breather. I'm not training or racing.

No geared bike at the moment but will be getting one, just waiting on the cyclescheme voucher.

I think the Ridgeback is going to be the one I order, it looks more suitable for winter or at least it will be easier to setup for winter given the extra clearance. It is only because the Langster came up at the same price that I considered it, trying to watch those pennies! Still need to think about a new saddle and am looking at the Carradice saddle bags.

Thanks for your input RedBike.

Well, it hardly needs saying that I'm enjoying my Solo. It's also a fair comment that it rides a bit like a fast tourer/audax bike with track ends. But it makes an excellent showing on the CS7 Tour de Commute, passing several Langsters every day, as it happens.

Depends what you want. I wanted something understated and deeply unflashy so it wasn't nickable. I also wanted guards and a rack, so I wanted the fittings. But I wanted something nippy too. Ticks all those boxes.

By the way, I took it off-road proper for the first time yesterday. It was fine.

iendicott

Not ridden the Solo so can't comment on it but I suspect it is a very good bike, I bought a 2010 Aluminium Langster last weekend and I can't believe how smooth the bike is overall.

Went out for a blast with some friends who were riding geared road bikes and had no problem keeping up with them. The bike is comfortable overall especially the seat which is well paded.

Been riding it with the freewheel setup until my SPD's arrive and replace the caged pedal :tongue: Weird how after only a year of riding using SPD's how much I miss them when I ride a bike without them.

It comes in a standard matt black finish and yes I can see the decals will peal off easily but I want people to know what I am riding.

Love the aero sytle wheels but I suspect they do not have any real function on this type of bike. Total weight is circa 19lbs so it is very responsive when you really need to push.

One thing I did notice is how sticky the tyres are, the road bike I own I though was soft compond with these are super slick and super sticky, don't relish riding in the rain over a manhole cover on the bike as it could easily test your reactions.

Front forks are Carbon fibre blade and are very light to turn in which makes the overall handling and turning lightning fast.

Best thing to do is find a dealer that does both bikes and try then for yourself. I looked at the Giant Bowery 72 but didn't like the style, did look at the Solo but again didn't like the style but that is a personal choice.

Ivan

OP
OP
C

crumpetman

I think if I tried a langster then I would be swayed by the lightness of it. I would like the bike to use now for a month and then set it aside to be the winter bike so it needs to be able to easily take guards and slightly wider tyres. So, I ordered the Solo and hope to have it in a couple of days. Went for some continental grand prix four seasons and a charge spoon too.

Thanks to all for your comments.

RedBike

I think if I tried a langster then I would be swayed by the lightness of it. I would like the bike to use now for a month and then set it aside to be the winter bike so it needs to be able to easily take guards and slightly wider tyres. So, I ordered the Solo and hope to have it in a couple of days. Went for some continental grand prix four seasons and a charge spoon too.

Thanks to all for your comments.

The Solo will never be a light-weight bike but if you were to temporarily remove the mud-guards and that very heavy freewheel you would significantly lighten the bike.

I know new bikes often come with rather crap tyres but from memory the original tyres on the Solo wern't too bad.

Top Bottom