Ridgeback Solo (2009) or Specialized Langster (2010)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

crumpetman

I have not had the time to take it into Evans for it's first service (the free one) to get the little problems looked at but have done a couple of hundred miles on the bike and am really enjoying it. Got the carradice nelson longflap and bagman expedition quick release and am happy with the setup.

I'm not going to bother with the Evans service. Their mechanics are mainly rubbish. The assembly of my Solo was late & shoddy. I've put it right, and just accepted that I got a good price anyway, so no problem.

Niggles with mine: I have a mudguard rub at the front, because the bracket on the guard is too long for the fork.

Um... that's it ;D

redjedi

Über Member
I'm not going to bother with the Evans service. Their mechanics are mainly rubbish. The assembly of my Solo was late & shoddy. I've put it right, and just accepted that I got a good price anyway, so no problem.

Niggles with mine: I have a mudguard rub at the front, because the bracket on the guard is too long for the fork.

Um... that's it ;D

I had the same problem with mine. to fix it you need to loosed the small nuts on the mounts and also the brake (from behind the fork). You can then lift the bracket up over the headset shell giving you more clearance.
You'll then need to bend the top of the bracket forward otherwise it will rub against the headset shell. Tighten all the bolts and you shouldn't get any more rubbing.

Don't do what the "engineer" in my Evans did and just lift the guard up so the mounting bracket jams into the headset :rolleyes:

I've done similar upgrades to my Solo as other people. Saddle replaced with a Specialized GB Avatar which I already had, seatpost wasn't long enough so replaced it with a carbon one I found on sale for £18, pedals replaced for SPDs, bar tape replaced for padded Spec tape (also already had lying around), shorter stem fitted, tyres upgrades to Vitoria Rubinos in red and rack fitted for panniers.

Next upgrades will be the freewheel. Mines a bit noisy, could just use some new grease but I don't like the deadspots on it. Then the brake calipers, possibly for some Dia Compe ones in red for some added bling :becool:

I recently rode mine to Amsterdam and back and it was very comfortable.

Yes, that's the solution, all right.

Actually, I'm having a bit of a problem right now, though. I've had two rear spokes go on the drive side. I replaced the first one, but I've not bought the spoke to do the second yet. The wheel goes a long way out of true with only one spoke broken. I had to adjust the tensions in order to get home. :sad:

Luke and Clarion - got any crunching coming from the BB? Mine is creaking and groaning like the Hesperus (I oiled my knees all weekend and I know it's not them!). I tend to put a bit of 'gentle pressure' on the pedals around a bit og Hampstead but apart from that mostly flat so no great straining thing going on. I accept that it will be a bog standard BB - got any ideas on a replacement? (Ta ;) )
Otherwise, no big noises from the back - 48 x 16 - rack, mudguards are crap but hey - they work! Rolls saddle instead of the plastic knife they sell with the bike and some leftover, nice comfy blue tape to 'add' to the black rubbish that split apart after five rides or so. M+ 25 front (I had two new Gators on mine but one tangled with a swashbuckling sabre of glass going downhill and came off second best :sad:
Apart from that - solid, good and a lifetime guarantee for a crash bang wallop - I don't think any of us three are particularly lightweight..."in oh so many ways..." :biggrin:

redjedi

Über Member
Same here. No BB problems yet.

I think it may be a cheap RPM BB like this so perhaps an upgrade to a Shimano one would be better (never thought I would use the words upgrade and Shimano in the same sentence, especially as my Campag Ultra torque has been so good to me :tongue:)

Well, I've replaced my second rear driveside spoke. Looking at the fracture, they are pretty crappy spokes in the OE wheels, but I want to change them for S3X/Chrina rear and SON/Chrina front. Seems like I should just get on with it. The rims distort badly with just one spoke missing, which is not what I'm used to (which admittedly has been Mavic for many years).

Ah, now, that's a lot better. Hope the other spokes hold out a bit longer.

Top Bottom