Riding a bike as day to day transport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'm new to forum so apologies if this covered somewhere. I've ridden bikes for years as daily transport, I've had cars but always had bikes. I am still amazed at work colleagues reactions when I rock up in all weather. They all live less than five miles from work and drive in. They all think I'm nuts that I ride for fun, shopping, commuting and holidays. I never wear special clothing, helmets which baffles them as well. Many have health conditions linked to lack of any meaningful exercise but don't appear to link exercise to health! I am older than the majority as well. Not a zealot about cycling its just the most practical way to get about and notice your community and the world in general.

gizmo1994

Could not have said that better myself. Thank you.

si_c

Guru
I used to work in the city centre and cycled in about 5 miles or so every day, there was one person who couldn't get their head around cycling that far. They lived about the same distance from the office as me, but where it took 20 minutes to get in they took an hour to drive, park and then walk from the car park - about 15minutes or so away.

Sometimes it's just the more practical choice.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Defies logic doesn't it. Likewise, one lady I work with is constantly on a diet, eats microwave meals for lunch and lives ten minutes cycle away yet drives her land rover discovery in every day and she thinks I'm mad!

bladesman73

Über Member
Mate I am with you on this. I have cycled to work for over 2 decades in all weathers. Worse are 2 people I currently work with, live about 10 mins walk from work, both drive in. I am the only one out of 30 that cycles in. Over the years have had loads of people think I cycle as I cant afford a car! Uk has an obesity crisis no wonder, so many lazy people out there.

rivers

How far can I go?
I cycle an hour-ish to work in most weathers. The only time I would take the bus or have the wife drive me in was due to high winds (40+ mph gusts).

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I think it's ingrained in a lot of people as kids. You have a bike to go around to your mates quicker and go for a kick around at the local park. Maybe even ride to school. Beyond that, you learn to drive and then cycling is forgotten for most owing to the world opening up and you can go anywhere in reasonable time, dry, warm, with a stereo and with the luggage space. This was pretty much how it was for me and nearly everyone i know or knew. Since last year ive started cycling again and lost a bunch of weight and wondered why i waited so long to start again. Saying that, other than my missus, i don't know anybody else who i still have contact with that has taken cycling back up.

united4ever

Über Member
Think a lot of folk haven't cycled since they were kids themselves and then only went round the block or half a mile to the park etc on old rusting choppers or grifters with the tyres half pumped up. If they rode a 500 quid bike for example these days they may be surprised just how effortless it can be and enjoyable.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think it's ingrained in a lot of people as kids. You have a bike to go around to your mates quicker and go for a kick around at the local park. Maybe even ride to school. Beyond that, you learn to drive and then cycling is forgotten for most owing to the world opening up and you can go anywhere in reasonable time, dry, warm, with a stereo and with the luggage space.

As a kid, riding a bike was the quickest, easiest, and cheapest means of covering shortish distances door to door - say five miles or less. I've been on two wheels since I was about four, and although I've ridden a lot less since I learned to drive and got into cars, I've always still owned bikes and there has never been a time when I've been without one. For an 18 year old with a reasonable job and money to spend, bikes don't have quite the same appeal as they do to a 14 year old. Cars were better for having liasons with girls away from parental prying eyes for a start. A drive somewhere in a warm dry car beats a cold wet bike ride any day of the week.
Unfortunately, one side effect of the ease of covering distance in cars is that people tend to then move further away from friends & family and live further away from work. Then the original easy convenience of a car becomes an essential, because riding to work is often simply not practical and all your social circle tend to gradually spread further apart because they also move further away from friends and work and the whole thing self-perpetuates. Unfortunately, given the trend for many employers to rationalise operations and concentrate their activities into fewer sites that might entail longer trips to work, I really don't see cycling making that much of a comeback in terms of the percentage of total journey miles cycled. At the margins, the odd extra journey might be made by bike rather than car or public transport, but I don't expect any wholesale change. To achieve that both business and public services would have to reverse all the things they've been gradually doing in the name of "efficiency" for at least 30 years - shops post offices, bank branches, council & government offices, would all have to be decentralised and placed closer to where the public actually reside. Technology will never fully do away with the need for face to face interaction, and how locally you can interact has a big influence on how much travel is done by what means.

Top Bottom