Riding a bike as day to day transport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I see neighbours kids who are raring to go but their millennial (gen y) parents don’t cycle. Also their parents won’t let them go out on their own like many gen X kids did. If kids see driving even short distances and that cycling is dangerous as the norm, then it sustains the new status quo.

bladesman73

Über Member
I can think of at least three East Anglian chains doing this, in addition to the nationals. It's a shame because two of them actually sell decent spare parts and consumables.
The one that sells turkish bikes that fall apart and weigh more than the queen mary, whilst charging shitloads for even the most basic of repairs is the one I refer to

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
'Cheap crap', at what price would you say a bike can be described as such?. Interesting to see others take on this.
I would say that the £99 specials in supermarkets and sports shops fit the bill. The frames weigh a ton, and the components are made of cheese. Badly made and put together.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would say that the £99 specials in supermarkets and sports shops fit the bill. The frames weigh a ton, and the components are made of cheese. Badly made and put together.

The ones with the unbranded bits on them are generally real BSO's, and they are junk.
However, cheap bikes that are equipped with low-end Shimano parts will work reliably so long as any poor assembly issues are sorted out and the thing is properly adjusted. Some people don't seem able to differentiate between something that is junk and something that was merely thrown together badly by unskilled people and with no quality control, because the manufacturing budget doesn't allow for it. When you buy those sort of bikes you have to accept that the customer is going to be doing their own quality control and rectification, and the low price of the bikes reflect this. People who are mechanically clueless or feel that getting their hands dirty adjusting things is below their status in life, should stay away from the cheapest end of the market.

What the bike always looks like.....you never know what you are going to find

IMG_20200830_135556_4.jpg

Lovacott

Über Member
We look at cycling in a different way to most people because we enjoy riding a bike. We have to accept that the majority of the population don't have any interest in it at all.
For me, cycling to work was a painful chore for the first week or so. Something I had to do to make up for all of the years of laziness which were taking a toll on my body.

Five months in and I can't wait to set off in the morning.

It's changed my life.

tyred

Legendary Member
Same as me carry bags in case I find something to womble.

My restored Pashley Mail Star is residing in my parent's garage as I live in a one bedroom flat several floors up and it is too big and cumbersome to store in my hallway or take up and down in the lift. I would love to have it here and use it regularly as it is great for all sorts of things and should I find something interesting lying in the hedge I have the carrying capacity to bring it home.

As it is, I make do with a large longflap saddle bag.

Carradice super c's carry a fair bit.
Firewood a decent amount
Box of Sloes
Box of blackberry's and some wild oregano
Bag of apples, which look like crab but are very sweet. Found in a hedge. Could be feral but round here they plant apple trees for the Queen's this, that and the other.

Top Bottom