Riding - Are there any roads where I can't legally ride my racing bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
hi all, this probably sounds a ridiculous question, but when riding is there any roads legally where I can't ride my racing bike. This is my first time really to be honest properly getting in to cycling. Sorry again for the stupid question

Cycle lover .
Just a pedantic point - if it's a track racing bike with no front brake and only pedal braking of the rear wheel, then I think it's illegal on all roads.

Alan

dodgy

Many people, even local cyclists are surprised to find that you can ride through one of the tunnels. The rules are convoluted, so much so that when I have ridden through I've kept a copy of the below article in case the tunnel police stop me (I've heard they've stopped others for riding through legally).

"
14. Can I ride my bicycle through the tunnel?

Bicycles are not permitted through the Kingsway Tunnel. Through the Queensway Tunnel, they are not allowed between the hours of 6:00am to 8:00pm, Monday to Friday, 7:00am to 8:00pm on Saturday and 8:00am to 9:00pm on Sunday. Please note, the time limits during a Sunday are only operational between 1st April and 30th September inclusive.
"

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cyclists are now banned on a stretch of the A19 leading towards Middlesbrough from the north following a couple of fatalities.

The ban was enacted under some Highways Agency power which I expect will have been used elsewhere.

Alan O

Über Member
14. Can I ride my bicycle through the tunnel?

Bicycles are not permitted through the Kingsway Tunnel. Through the Queensway Tunnel, they are not allowed between the hours of 6:00am to 8:00pm, Monday to Friday, 7:00am to 8:00pm on Saturday and 8:00am to 9:00pm on Sunday. Please note, the time limits during a Sunday are only operational between 1st April and 30th September inclusive.
I never knew that!

Ian193

Über Member
Queen Elizabeth bridge, which takes traffic in the opposite direction to the Dartford Tunnels.
You can get taken over in a highways agency vehicle there's a phone to contact them near the bridge I saw a photo of it on Facebook the other day

Tim Hall

You can get taken over in a highways agency vehicle there's a phone to contact them near the bridge I saw a photo of it on Facebook the other day
Yes, but you can't ride it. (And if there's lots of you, you have to wait an age. See FNRTTC passim)

GuyBoden

Guru
Some nice old NCU signs.

ctc_wingd_1.jpg

image0029.jpg

North Rode Cheshire. (So a rode sign)^_^

si_c

Guru
I never knew that!
Yeah not many people do. Having ridden through there a couple of times its not something I'd recommend if you can avoid it. The problem is for the first half you can maintain 30+ mph but the second half its a struggle to maintain 15 due to the gradient.

That just makes for conflict with motorists. You absolutely must take the lane as they are already narrow.

Top Bottom