Riding - Are there any roads where I can't legally ride my racing bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Sections of the A55 are prohibited, I think. I rode through the Blackwall tunnel last year - it was shut to other traffic to allow cyclists to get to Ride London.

rrarider

Veteran
Yeah not many people do. Having ridden through there a couple of times its not something I'd recommend if you can avoid it. The problem is for the first half you can maintain 30+ mph but the second half its a struggle to maintain 15 due to the gradient.

That just makes for conflict with motorists. You absolutely must take the lane as they are already narrow.
I didn't know that bikes were allowed at any time, so I wish I hadn't spotted this post. My reading of the regulations http://www.merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/byelaws.pdf leads me to believe that cycling is legal all day on Sundays until the first April. I haven't driven through the old tunnel for a while but from memory it's like the new tunnel, in that changing lane is illegal for motorists. That will indeed make for conflict if cycling towards the river banks.

si_c

Guru
I've ridden it quite a few times, it's not that bad.

No it's not bad, but it's a recipe for conflict. Last time I rode through there I was in primary, and despite that I had a taxi trying to overtake me in the same lane.

Alan O

Über Member
I didn't know that bikes were allowed at any time, so I wish I hadn't spotted this post. My reading of the regulations http://www.merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/byelaws.pdf leads me to believe that cycling is legal all day on Sundays until the first April. I haven't driven through the old tunnel for a while but from memory it's like the new tunnel, in that changing lane is illegal for motorists. That will indeed make for conflict if cycling towards the river banks.
Yeah, I think the "Stay in Lane" signs are still there. With those narrow lanes and effectively no overtaking, I wouldn't want to be holding the traffic up for half the journey.

dodgy

No it's not bad, but it's a recipe for conflict. Last time I rode through there I was in primary, and despite that I had a taxi trying to overtake me in the same lane.

I personally don't see the need to ride through there in primary.

dodgy

Because the lane is very narrow, traffic is not allowed to overtake, but will try anyway.

But you can overtake a cyclist even if it means going over double white lines. There's an exception in the Highway Code for it.

Like I said, I ride through from time to time and it's not all that bad, what happens is just like on any other road, cars want to over take you, and they do when it's safe.

Tim Hall

But you can overtake a cyclist even if it means going over double white lines. There's an exception in the Highway Code for it.

Like I said, I ride through from time to time and it's not all that bad, what happens is just like on any other road, cars want to over take you, and they do when it's safe.
If the cyclist is going slower than 10 mph.
You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Main tunnel in the Central Terminal Area is no cycling. Side bores used to permit but are currently closed whilst tunnels are refurbished

dodgy

If the cyclist is going slower than 10 mph.

If you're familiar with the tunnel, you'll know that most cyclists (even novices) will be doing ITRO 30 mph downhill to the middle bit, then the incline out even club cyclists will struggle to do much more than 12mph, the vast majority of riders will present the motorist with an easy overtake.

This is getting complicated. I ride it, it's fine. People seem to lose their sense of reason because the road is within a tunnel, it's not much different to any other hilly road.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I've always wanted to use the Dartford Tunnel since reading about perhaps the first cycling overprovision in the UK.

2qjvaz4.jpg

Five buses commissioned in 1963 each holding 46 bikes in racks plus space at the back for trikes. Running every six minutes during the daytime.

Obviously they quickly realised only so many cyclists wanted to go through the tunnels and the service was quickly scaled back and eventually the buses scrapped. A real pretty as they must have been tremendous fun to take and would probably be popular as a "novelty" trip today.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Blimey the elfn'safety fascists wouldn't allow anybody to use that stairway in ordinary shoes, let alone cleated shoes.

Top Bottom