Riding in primary or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
User3143 said:
Go up the RHS next time when filtering slow moving traffic.
case by case i think. In this case probably better because of the stopped car. But normally i wouldn't because there is a right turn just before the lights.

jimboalee

That's a video of what can be seen from the helmet of a cyclist as he/she rides his/her bike down a road.

Brings back happy memories of the past forty years summer commuting. Pleasant sunshine, moderate traffic volumes and sticky dry road surface.

Am I supposed to be objecting about the guy/gal's road positioning?

Seems you wasted your time digging out a suitable video.

Ho, hum.

jimboalee

I commuted on my SWorks this morning.

22.5 miles in 1hr 18mins.

I tried to ride in 'primary' somewhere near the middle of the lane for the whole trip, moving over to 'secondary' when I heared a vehicle approaching.

Solihull to Warwick. SIX vehicles passed me :biggrin:

Warwick to Gaydon. Aston Martin 6 o'clock assembly workers RUSHING along ( as they ALWAYS do ), so I didn't spend too much time in 'Primary'.

I tell you, between Solihull and Warwick, on this still and quiet Friday morning, I could have ridden down the center line, zig-zagging in and out of the white lines.

22.5 mile non-stop. Can't be bad.

To be quite blunt Mr Paul. I couldn't give a toss where 'primary' is, or even where 'secondary' is. I'll ride where I deem to be the most appropriate place for the situation, not where someone else says I should.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
jimboalee said:
I'll ride where I deem to be the most appropriate place for the situation, not where someone else says I should.

Thanks for your honesty, Jim. I believe this is the crux of the matter with all the cyclecraft critics. "I'm an excellent rider, don't you DARE to tell me how to ride".

jimboalee

Sheffield_Tiger said:
Positioning put simply

SHARE the road. You do not own it. Nor are you a guest on it.

Oh yes you are.

Her Majesty the Queen owns the road and it is only by her good grace and the permission of her government and Policing forces that YOU are allowed to use it.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cyclecraft doesn't foist strict rules upon cyclists where road positioning is concerned - it offers advice, guidance and tips. It enshrines the received wisdom with regard to best practice that has accreted over many decades and is still evolving.

Remember: "a cyclist is too vulnerable to follow rigid rules irrespective of the danger to himself" (now look what you've made me do, quote Franklin!).

Cyclists have always and will continue to interpret the text as they see fit given the road conditions they find.

dondare

Über Member
jimboalee said:
Oh yes you are.

Her Majesty the Queen owns the road and it is only by her good grace and the permission of her government and Policing forces that YOU are allowed to use it.

Aren't the roads, by and large, "public estate"?

jimboalee

dondare said:
Aren't the roads, by and large, "public estate"?

If they were, the Queen would need to register her car.

One is not required to register a motorised vehicle if its intended use is solely on one's own property.

jimboalee said:
Oh yes you are.

OK let's be pedantic to miss the point completely. When was the last time the Queen rammed you off the road?

Within the context* of the thread it ought to have been quite obvious that being a guest referred to a guest of the body of people collectively known as "motorists"

Would you rather every post came with a lot of clauses and subsections?

*something which, for some reason, many people seem to be completely incapable of understanding once they sit in front of a computer, to the extent that one might consider to be deliberate in order to win fictional points on a fictional scoreboard

jimboalee

And this is where you're having the problem. Cyclecraft is telling you how to ride, so you don't like it. But it's only telling you to do what you say here that you are doing. Puzzling then that it bothers you so much. Is it just because different language is being used?

I went on a leisure ride about fifteen years ago which started in Selly Oak Park and went to Hartlebury Castle to see a veteran cycle meeting. The ride was organised by PushBikes when they were in Allison St.

On the ride, there was this annoying kid about ten years younger than me who wittered on about the correct position on the road, and got quite frustrated when riders went into three abreast in the country lanes.

Was that you?

blockend

There are clearly two versions of Cyclecraft, the original one that raised barely a murmer, and the internet age version that cyclists beat each other around the head and neck with.
I prefer the first edition, it matches what I do.

Top Bottom