Riding in primary or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blockend

Alarms bells went off when message board posters spoke without irony of using the middle of the lane as the normal place to be, unless there was some pressing reason not to be there.

I read Cyclecraft donkey's years ago not long after it came out - though still a remaindered copy - and saw nothing surprising in the advice, though the descriptions were long winded and I failed to see how volatile and transient conditions could be translated by borderline pedantry and line drawings. What I failed to notice was the new gift of the middle of the road people began talking about.

Experienced cyclists will always spend periods of their journey in exposed positions for a variety of reasons but taking up residence there will bring you a whole heap of trouble. Unless you're the kind of person who sees themselves on a mission and other road user's bile as fuel for your cause, general primary ownership will not make you faster or safer.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Blockend, that post shows only how much you've misinterpreted cyclecraft.

Origamist

Legendary Member
On cycling fora (where self-selection plays an important part), the concept of primary position seems to have taken on an almost totemic status in the minds of both its fervent champions and keenest critics. For me, it’s just another lateral position in the road to be deployed when necessary.

jimboalee

Origamist said:
On cycling fora (where self-selection plays an important part), the concept of primary position seems to have taken on an almost totemic status in the minds of both its fervent champions and keenest critics. For me, it’s just another lateral position in the road to be deployed when necessary.

I though you'd gone and weren't coming back?? :thumbsup:

You're right, just another position to utilise when the circumcstance dictates.

See Jimbos rule 3.

Everyone has their own measure.
Some read books and obey them like 'the gospel according to St XXXXX".
Some read books and think "interesting, but I feel safe with what I'm doing already".
Some read very few books.

The last book I read on cycling was "Dancing uphill". Only because my LBS lady lent it to me.
Inside the front dustcover were some black and white photos from before the war.
In one photo was Sgt. J. C. Lee of the RAF cycling team.

"Jim, you're the spitting image of your uncle".

Origamist

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
I though you'd gone and weren't coming back?? :thumbsup:

You're right, just another position to utilise when the circumcstance dictates.

See Jimbos rule 3.

Everyone has their own measure.
Some read books and obey them like 'the gospel according to St XXXXX".
Some read books and think "interesting, but I feel safe with what I'm doing already".
Some read very few books.

The last book I read on cycling was "Dancing uphill". Only because my LBS lady leant it to me.
Inside the front dustcover were some black and white photos from before the war.
In one photo was Sgt. J. C. Lee of the RAF cycling team.

"Jim, you're the spitting image of your uncle".

Luckily for you, it was only a 24 hour self-exile, Jim. Spending too much time in commuting is a dirty business and I needed time to cleanse myself.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Origamist said:
Luckily for you, it was only a 24 hour self-exile, Jim. Spending too much time in commuting is a dirty business and I needed time to cleanse myself, now and again.

Nothing without a video :thumbsup:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
Nothing without a video :thumbsup:

Great idea - an educational aid (in glorious HD with some "informative" POV shots) on best practice vis-a-vis the application of Sudocrem, pre-ride...

Origamist

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
So why didn't Franklin follow the motorcyclist's existing terminology of 'Nearside' and 'Dominant'?

This is one of your more astute observations. Why don't you ask him?
PM me if you want his email - he has never failed to reply to me.

blockend

An example of why pragmatism wins out over line drawings. One morning about a year ago I was approaching a junction onto the ring road of a local town taking what's called primary, because it was the position with most benefit to me as a cyclist.
However the engine note of a following car and the rapid changes through the gear box gave me, for purely instinctive reasons, the idea to pull in well to the left. The car came past at perhaps, 60mph (we were in 30) with no care for my positioning and proceeded to take the roundabout in the wrong direction, mostly on two wheels. A police siren followed 30 seconds later.

I have no proof that I'd have ended up as collateral damage in a car chase if I'd held my ground but I believe it to be so, because there was no safe zone for the driver and I was the softest target. This is an obvious example on a scale of brinkmanship but there are common ones where instinct leads a cyclist to places no amount of Cyclecraft can legislate for. It would be better if except and unless were spelt out in bigger letters to stop newbies taking the thing down as writ, then broadcasting it to the rest of us.

Origamist said:
This is one of your more astute observations. Why don't you ask him?
PM me if you want his email - he has never failed to reply to me.

Do you know John personally? I've always thought it would be interesting to get his insights into some of my and others videos.

Top Bottom