Riding in primary or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

The trouble with me is I'm out on my bike so often, I don't have time to read all the books and glossies on 'How to ride a bike'.

Maybe I should go an a training course and get one of those delicately written certificates which says

"This man can ride a bicycle".

I'll put it in the cabinet with all my AUK medals and badges.

Then when friends and relatives call round, they can say "Your'e a REAL cyclist now. You now know how to 'get in the way' properly".

dondare

Über Member
Strangely, I find time to do both.
(And hold down a full-time job &c.)

GrasB

Veteran
marzjennings said:
When I used to ride around on a Ross Trice the rear brake was part of the steering arrangement. :biggrin:

Same is sort of true on my mountain bike wear a touch of back brake can sometimes help correct a corner going wrong.
Reminds me of - It's not a hand brake, that's a yaw adjustment lever! :biggrin:

dondare

Über Member
jimboalee said:
The trouble with me is I'm out on my bike so often, I don't have time to read all the books and glossies on 'How to ride a bike'.

Maybe I should go an a training course and get one of those delicately written certificates which says

"This man can ride a bicycle".

I'll put it in the cabinet with all my AUK medals and badges.

Then when friends and relatives call round, they can say "Your'e a REAL cyclist now. You now know how to 'get in the way' properly".

"Has satisfied examiners that he can ignore traffic lights; ride up one-way streets in the wrong direction and use an untaxed vehicle on the public roads."

hambones

Jimboalee - the trick is just to see the funny side in what others post and remember that they are just people giving their own opinions. Some of the advice offered from people on here is hilarious and doesn't reflect the reality of cycling at all. Just smile to yourself and pedal on... :biggrin:

jimboalee

hambones said:
Jimboalee - the trick is just to see the funny side in what others post and remember that they are just people giving their own opinions. Some of the advice offered from people on here is hilarious and doesn't reflect the reality of cycling at all. Just smile to yourself and pedal on... :whistle:

I am seeing the funny side.

My new Shimano RS-Eighty wheels arrived yesterday and they are now on my SWorks.

I'll be off work early tomorrow and able to get over to the Hagley Road at the Kings Arms XRDS to intercept Mr Paul.

I wonder if he'll see the funny side when I scalp him good and proper ;)

jimboalee

You'll be too busy marking out your braking distances at each junction to scalp anyone.:smile:

I've been thinking about this.

To claim a 'scalp' the scalper has to be older and the scalper's bike has to be heavier.

Seeing you are less than half my age ( still wet behind the ears and have a hell of a lot yet to learn ), I'll relax the bike weight rule. :biggrin:

dondare

Über Member
jimboalee said:
Sorry Mr Paul. I had you at a mental age of 25.

Just qualified a Masters Degree in a subject that was NOT cycling.

That puts you at 50+ which I wouldn't have guessed.

I know where you're coming from Jimbo ( I think). I've been riding a bike on the roads so long I've developed my own style of riding. In some cases it's better in other cases it just works but I would be hard pressed to teach it to someone else. I'm never likely to buy Cyclecraft or read it but it's also never too late to learn and I've changed some of my habits or at least tried different things as a result of others experiences on here. I do wonder sometimes if 'primary' is being overused by some people but it's impossible to judge unless you ride the same roads. I do know there are better riders than me on here, in terms of good technique but I'd like to think I'm as good as anyone at protecting myself on the road when I need to.

You back brake stopping was interesting. I'm reminded of a downhill in the dark with a right turn at the end on a road which was coned for roadworks. The surface was chewed up and I was committed to the middle of the lane to make the turn with a car coming up behind me. I deemed it essential to signal to him that I was both slowing and turning and as I couldn't see anything beyond the headlights I kept up the signal until I could filter off or was sure he knew my intentions, which was roughly when I filtered off but braking one handed over a rough surface was challenging.

dondare

Über Member
I have developed instincts which cannot be learned from a book and techniques which I wouldn't advise anyone to emulate but I still read "how to ride a bike properly" books and articles.
Don't always agree with them, any more than I agree with you lot.

Top Bottom