Riding in primary or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blockend

Crossroads are also a good place to practice some lingering rear observations on the approach. It suggests the rider might be about to turn but more importantly, denies the opportunity for an eyeline with the driver.
Eye contact is useful for close proximity but at distance it can justify a pull out on the basis 'the cyclist has seen me'. Looking away - with a keen ear on changing engine notes - is often more effective at pinning down an undecided driver than looking at them.

My observations are purely opinion, based on 40+ years road cycling, they are not a right answer. Indeed, I believe standard 'rules', like an unreconstructed approach to primary positioning, is counter productive to rider safety. A good rider will be prepared to press on or abandon a strategy depending on the volatility of his environment.

Origamist

Legendary Member
blockend said:
Crossroads are also a good place to practice some lingering rear observations on the approach. It suggests the rider might be about to turn but more importantly, denies the opportunity for an eyeline with the driver.
Eye contact is useful for close proximity but at distance it can justify a pull out on the basis 'the cyclist has seen me'. Looking away - with a keen ear on changing engine notes - is often more effective at pinning down an undecided driver than looking at them.

My observations are purely opinion, based on 40+ years road cycling, they are not a right answer. Indeed, I believe standard 'rules', like an unreconstructed approach to primary positioning, is counter productive to rider safety. A good rider will be prepared to press on or abandon a strategy depending on the volatility of his environment.

Stop talking sense, otherwise people will think I have multiple identities on this forum.

jimboalee

Origamist said:
Jim, I don't know the stopping distance with just my rear brake (in wet or dry etc) - that's why I'm asking for your advice.

Its a very simple experiment.

So simple, schoolboys do it by riding toward a chainlink fence ( at the nearby tarmac tennis courts ), pulling the brake and seeing how close they stop from the fence.

Oh, those were the days.

Origamist

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Its a very simple experiment.

So simple, schoolboys do it by riding toward a chainlink fence ( at the nearby tarmac tennis courts ), pulling the brake and seeing how close they stop from the fence.

Oh, those were the days.

Nice dodge.

I've come late to this, but I would take the secondary position (a good strong one) along this road. Looking at the width of the road any car needing to overtake would have to cross the white line considerably when in secondary. Therefore I think it is probably sufficient. Adding to that, the fact that the road is long and straight, to me this strengthens the case for secondary. I don't think primary gains anything apart from irritating drivers behind.

I'm not one to shirk from annoying someone if I feel my safety is compromised, but here secondary is more than sufficient, and if you can reduce the aggro then all well and good. Of course you have to take into account junctions, potholes etc.

dondare

Über Member
Air brakes?

jimboalee said:
Put out your right arm and wave it in an up-down motion.

Use your rear brake and sit up with your knees splayed out to act as an airbrake.

And this helps to slow you down?

OP
OP
Matthames

Matthames

Über Member
My position down the road all depends on my speed and traffic conditions. Today because of the sea breeze I had to stick to secondary, although there was a point were the sun's reflection off the rear light cluster of a car in one of the drives caught my eye. I couldn't see the front of the car because of a hedge, so therefore couldn't work out whether they were brake lights and the car about to reverse out or that it was just the sun shining on the cluster. At that point I moved over to primary to assume the worst case scenario of a car reversing into my path.

jimboalee

Origamist said:
Nice dodge.

Here's a man who risks his life every day riding a pedal cycle on the public highway, and he doesn't know the capability of the main systems on his bike which will bring him to a halt if he needs to effect an emergency stop.

I thought it was the first thing every sensible cyclist does. Ride off on a new bike ( or after brake maintenance ) ,,,, pull the brakes hard to make sure they'll stop the bike in an emergency.

:smile:

jimboalee

Any estimate on the number of following drivers who would understand the signal and not just think you're stupidly trying to take off?

When I took my driving test, a knowledge of the HC was necessary to answer the questions at the finale of the test.

I don't know what they do now. Is it in the written test?

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
OH, and BTW.

I braked with the rear brake only down this street tonight. Right hand was signalling right as I approached the traffic island.

I had total confidence due to my 'Roadworthyness tests' performed when I assembled the bike.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&l...oid=c6p-wcnUyWYBxt-pJB_f9g&cbp=12,297.67,,0,5

OH, and another BTW.

Dominant in the center of the lane all the way down this hill 'cus I'm turning right at the island.

If you turn the streeview 180 degs and go back up Saltisford, you'll see the nasty little island where countless idiots try to squeze me into the gutter. Bollocks to them, I'll go round that island on my own.

blockend

Surely it's not how much distance a bike needs to stop in test conditions, but how little space you need when travelling at 15mph and a driver pulls out four bike lengths in front?
I can testify to the usefulness of practicing a front wheel stand in such conditions.

Origamist

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Here's a man who risks his life every day riding a pedal cycle on the public highway, and he doesn't know the capability of the main systems on his bike which will bring him to a halt if he needs to effect an emergency stop.

I thought it was the first thing every sensible cyclist does. Ride off on a new bike ( or after brake maintenance ) ,,,, pull the brakes hard to make sure they'll stop the bike in an emergency.

:smile:

Jim, we're not talking about emergency stops. What is under consideration is this:

jimboalee said:
For one, I wouldn't allow myself to get to a speed down the hill where stopping is not possible with only one brake ( the rear ).

Why are you so reluctant to explain yourself? As I've said, I roughly know my braking distances with both brakes, but not the rear only when I'm descending (which puts more weight over the front wheel). I was hoping you would enlighten me, why so coy?

dondare

Über Member
Any estimate on the number of following drivers who would understand the signal and not just think you're stupidly trying to take off?

Or dribbling an invisble basket ball.

Or drying nail varnish...

Top Bottom