Riding in the dark

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I've got a new light, this one and I was desperate to get out and try it. My children had hockey today and my only chance to get out was really early, so I set out before 6 and headed out into the country.

I've never really ridden in the dark before and it was really strange, hypnotic even, watching this patch of light. The light has a focused, rectangular beam with some scattered light around it to light the sides. I've come to the conclusion positioning is crucial. The manual recommends pointing it about 10 metres ahead, and I reckon that's about right.

Driving in the snow is really strange when you're not used to it, with the trick being to ignore the snowflakes and focus on the road ahead. I think the secret here would be the same, watch the visible patch of road, not the light.

I like my gadgetry and keep an eye on technology when I'm biking. This was done entirely by feel. No idea what my speed was, nor my cadence, nor my heartrate. I was convinced I was going slower than normal, but when I got home and checked I was pretty close to where I usually am.

Big boy

is it any good for that sorta money it should be

Booyaa

Veteran
I don't really ride any differently in the dark from in the daylight. I certainly don't focus on where the light falls. Usually cycle in reasonably well lit raids though so not that big a difference.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
I've no idea whether it's good or not as I don't have anything to compare it with. My last light was a Smart 25 so quite a difference, but I'm loving it so far. I got it from Germany for £75 delivered, so still a lot of money, but much better than the price here.
Mo the battery life is one of the main reasons I bought it. Over 6 hours at level five, 45 hours at level one. I often do long rides and didn't want something with a two hour run time.
Booyaa I was out in the country, amongst trees with no street lights nearby so it was a really good test, very very dark.

Sandra6

Veteran
I always feel that I'm cycling faster if it's darker, but I can't see the cycle computer to check.
On a couple of poorly lit side roads I do realise I'm watching the little circle of light and not where I'm going occasionally.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I always feel that I'm cycling faster if it's darker, but I can't see the cycle computer to check.
On a couple of poorly lit side roads I do realise I'm watching the little circle of light and not where I'm going occasionally.
Careful there!

Top Bottom