Riding into Nice from Col de Turini?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bcr

I'm working out a route for June 09 ending in Nice, France the day before the Tour de France begins in Monaco. I was hoping to spend the last night before Nice in Menton, then cycle down the coast to Nice, but all the hotels are full in Menton because of the Tour. I finally booked a hotel further north at the top of the Col de Turini, and now I have to decide on a route into Nice. I've heard horror stories of riding near Nice, but I'm holding out hope that someone can help me find a route into the city that isn't too death-defying.

Can anyone out there help me?

Percy

I cycled into and out of Nice on the main coastal road and found it a very pleasant, hassle free experience.

I also cycled around the city itself quite a lot and didn't have any major problems. I tend to find these 'horror stories' are either the result of Chinese whispers or accounts from people with very low tolerance for a bit of traffic.

I'd just head straight into town if I was you - through Blausasc and la Trinite - it'll be fine!

OP
OP
B

bcr

Thanks, Percy, it's good to finally hear from someone who actually has ridden around Nice. Now I just need to pick which of the several ways into Nice would be the most interesting/scenic/fun ride.

Percy

Well to be fair your options from the Col de Turini are fairly limited - you either go the direct route into town on the D2566, take the same road the other way and do a longer route along the coast, from Menton taking in Monaco as you go, or a big loop left and down on the D70/D2565. I've only ridden the coast route, which was interesting, scenic and fun, so can't comment on the others - they look good on Google Maps though!

That stretch of coast is pretty amazing I have to say, more so when the tour is due in town, I would expect. It'll certainly be busier than the inland routes, but that's what makes it interesting!

OP
OP
B

bcr

Yes, those are the major options. The direct route down D2566 has some intriguing (at least in Google maps) alternatives, though I think I've settled on heading straight to the coast toward Menton and then on to Nice. An alternative I'll think about is turning west before Menton and climbing up through Saint-Agnes along the Madone route before dropping back to La Turbie. Nothing like poring over maps to get excited about a trip,eh?

Top Bottom