Riding long distances on flat pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use SPDs but my partner Jannie prefers to use flats.

We are looking at LEL next year.

I see no reason for trying to talk Jannie into SPDs as she is comfortable on flats. She rode 117kms in 4 hours last weekend and thought it was easy.

Is riding long distance on flats a common thing?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's my ar$e bones and palms that tend to suffer after 4 hours rather than my feet. Whether it's common or not, there's no problem riding on flats for as long as you like (IMO).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I see no reason for trying to talk Jannie into SPDs as she is comfortable on flats. She rode 117kms in 4 hours last weekend and thought it was easy.

Is riding long distance on flats a common thing?
No idea how common it is, but I've ridden 100+s on them and know many others who have. Bonus is that as far as I know, none of us have abandoned any rides because we've fallen sideways at 0mph.

Kajjal

Guru
I ride on flats on or off road and have no problems on longer rides. I just use the nukeproof electron flats which are slim, grip well and light weight MTB pedals.

mjr

All my mileage is done no flats. Mine do have pins in them so I don't slip when wet. I use DMR v12 on the road bike
That's a very good point. I couldn't imagine struggling with slippery resin flats that far. All mine have rubber grips except the folding bike which doesn't get ridden very long distances. Wellgo LU868 on the road bike (Falcon Majorca, photographed in its restoration thread), Union SP-808 on the Dutch bike (my avatar) and Vavert Leisure on the hybrid - all have done a ton, I think. , The Raleighs with rubber treads on the old English (Riviera Sport, photographed in another thread) have done a metric century but I don't think they've done an imperial.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The benefit of clipless is they enable you to spin at a high cadence and apply bursts of high effort without your feet slipping off the pedals.

Since neither of those is required for distance riding, there's no problem using flats.

And as mentioned by @User9609, flats enable you to change your foot position which could be a benefit on a time in the saddle challenge such as London-Edinburgh-London.

So rather than Steve thinking if Jannie needs clipless for LEL, I think she should be thinking if he needs flats.

mjr

On the rare occasions I use them I find with flat pedals that I have to keep my feet correctly positioned on them all the time, and it causes an ache in my shins.
OK, you're allowed clips. But only you, right?

The advantage of flat pedals is that you can put your heels on them, stick your knees out, and cycle like a dweeb.
Nah, stick your feet out and do the whole "wheeeeee!" down hills thing. That also really bugs over-serious sportivers if you do it while passing them! :laugh:

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Jannie has told me a few times that not being clipped in enables her to change her feet position slightly, if she feels the need to.

Mind you, watching me flounder on the kitchen floor while clipped into a bike didnt really inspire her.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4490154, member: 259"]Honestly, did you really need to ask this question?[/QUOTE]

Yes I did.

The reason I was asking is I was wondering how many riders take part in in events like LEL or TCR on flats. All the the photos you see of these events they appear to be clipless.

But it sounds like you might know the answer.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wasn't looking at pedals when I volunteered last time at Barnard Castle, but I believe the majority used clipless.

Not least because we had dozens of pairs of shoes in the entrance to the control because the school didn't want people walking around the premises on cleated shoes.

With that in mind, you might like to add a pair of lightweight shoes to your kit.

@nickyboy uses flip-flops which seems a good idea to me.

Top Bottom