Riding long distances on flat pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
I think we need to distinguish flats with no clips, flats with loose clips, and flats with thight clips. I suspect the last - toe clips done up so tight they hold the foot immobile to the pedal - have disappeared with clipless as they are clearly inferior as means of delivering that objective. But flats with loose clips largely solve the slipping in the wet problem while still allowing modest shifts in foot position (though not cycling on the arch of the foot except by turning the pedal over) - not perfect but a compromise. The pins referred to upthread may be an alternative solution.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I wasn't looking at pedals when I volunteered last time at Barnard Castle, but I believe the majority used clipless.

Not least because we had dozens of pairs of shoes in the entrance to the control because the school didn't want people walking around the premises on cleated shoes.

With that in mind, you might like to add a pair of lightweight shoes to your kit.

@nickyboy uses flip-flops which seems a good idea to me.

I think I got the idea of carrying flip flops with me from a story about someone on a long, hilly audax. He passed another audaxer who, mysteriously, had a pair of flip flops taped to the crossbar of his bike. After much climbing and descending, they were faced with a very steep and difficult climb on which they both had to admit defeat and walk.

Of course in cleats walking up a steep hill is a real task. The other audaxer left his shoes attached to his cleats, untaped his flip flops, popped them on and walked happily to the top of the hill

Flip flops weigh practically nothing and you can slip them in a jersey pocket. There's the added benefit of making your friends laugh cos you look a bit silly wearing them with socks

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Speaking of walking in cleated shoes, I was at the top of one of the Lake District passes (in my car) when a cyclist ground his way up.

He stopped, and I offered him a friendly word of congratulation.

He told me he needed a rest, but was also waiting for his mate who was pushing.

The mate in question had pushed so much he had worn out the cleats from walking on them on asphalt.

We teased him about that when he arrived, although it was a bit cheeky by me given that my failure on such a climb would have been far greater than his.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I mean flats with no clips or cages. Jannie prefers to use deck shoes instead of trainers. If she can ride 117km in 4 hours without effort, she is doing something right.

I ride with shoes that have recessed clips, so I can walk in them.

One thing I would say @steveindenmark, although I live in
bl_031163_a.jpg

most of the year, I wouldn't want to cycle more than 15 miles in them if I was touring and cycling pretty much daily. Eventually you get slightly sore feet because they are flexible. I do use Keen sandals with cleats for longer rides (but very very rarely clip in) - they have a fairly rigid sole.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks Hopeless. We are not looking for shoes.

Im happy with my inserted cleats and Jannie is happy with her deck shoes.

I understand MTB shoes come with inserted cleats. I do have some "racing" shoes but they have lived in a box for years.

I have heard of cleated sandal wearers who use them all through the winter but just add thicker socks as it gets colder. I think they must be the same people who grow long grey beards and go to home brew and real ale festivals.

sarahale

Über Member
I ride on flats and I've done 100 miles on my road bike and 80 something on my mtb off road. Never slipped off once and I like the freedom especially off road :biggrin:

Thanks Hopeless. We are not looking for shoes.

Im happy with my inserted cleats and Jannie is happy with her deck shoes.

I understand MTB shoes come with inserted cleats. I do have some "racing" shoes but they have lived in a box for years.

I have heard of cleated sandal wearers who use them all through the winter but just add thicker socks as it gets colder. I think they must be the same people who grow long grey beards and go to home brew and real ale festivals.
No, I know you're not. Was just saying for daily long distances, soft soled shoes eventually cause discomfort. I have deck shoes and they possibly would be ok - mine have a half decent sole. But I sail in those, not cycle!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Last edited:

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I abandoned clippies after i started riding again when recovering from a snapped Achilles and i didn't want to be twisting my ankle quickly to get unclipped in an emergency.
I have ridden over 150 miles in a day on flats and i have not noticed any difference whatsoever. Now i use kids plastic pedals and crocs covered by waterproof overshoes. The whole lot comes to less than 400g.
The knock off crocs and decathlon pedals cost less than 6 quid.
When i stop i don't walk about like a penguin and when i am lightweight touring i only take the one pair of shoes.

Top Bottom