Riding on sheet ice

Would you dig out the lid for riding on compacted ice/snow ?

• Yes

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Don't posess one

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

For those who don't wear a lid normally, I was out on saturday on the MTB, and mostly rode side roads with sheet ice on them. Whilst on the move, I felt fauirly stable, but feet down and it definitely felt like a skating rink.
I wore a lid because I do, but wonder is the presence of sheet ice would change the opinion of the non lid wearing riders ?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Riding on sheet ice on the roads is generally a mistake, whatever headwear you choose. I came off on black ice on Tuesday, unlidded. I hurt my elbow slightly. All this tells me is that I should not assume the road has been gritted.

Reactions: 4F

StuartG

slower but further
I'd dig out the studded tyres.

The relevant question might be how is the type of fall when riding very slowly on ice unclipped on a MTB/Hybrid compare to one's normally more speedy progress on a surface unprotected by snow. Indeed what depth of snow offers the same protection as a lid ^_^

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I always remember dropping my old racer on sheet ice back in the day. It went down so fast, and I was barely moving. Semi slick tyres though. Bloody hurt :sad:

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

If it was real sheet ice you would not have been able to ride.

You have no chance even with Marathon XTs on

It really is sheet ice up this way. I dropped the bike on the road outside my house just clipping one shoe in on saturday whilst stood still. Main roads are clear, but side roads are very iffy. ....require 100% concentration to keep centered over the bike. Didn't drop it on saturday though and did about 8 or 9 miles.

albion

Guru
Guess it depends on the meaning of sheet ice.

The melted and frozen snow I hit near Newburn was not navigable with Marathon XR. (and any other hybrid/mountain bike tyre by the fact everyone was walking their bikes)

Compacted snow on the other hand is fine.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Why wear a lid if you don't. You are very likely to break a hip, elbow etc on ice, less the head

A hip is a lot easier to mend than a head though

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Not necessarily.

Nonsense.

My friends son was killed in India 2 weeks ago riding a moped...no crash helmet, skull broken in 3 places, and face unrecognisable...killed instantly

You recall the crash I witnessed of another friend a few years ago. His first point of contact was his head when he hit the road, He suffered no head or neck injuries, but broke his hip and femur. The hip was put right that night and has not bothered him since.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Nonsense.

My friends son was killed in India 2 weeks ago riding a moped...no crash helmet, skull broken in 3 places, and face unrecognisable...killed instantly

You recall the crash I witnessed of another friend a few years ago. His first point of contact was his head when he hit the road, He suffered no head or neck injuries, but broke his hip and femur. The hip was put right that night and has not bothered him since.

Some hip injuries are serious, some head injuries are trivial. Your statement wasn't true. There's no need to get in a tizz.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
But why would someone think to put a lid on if they don't already. I wear a lid all the time, but riding on ICE and Snow, my head doesn't come into the risk assessment. I use spiked tyres.

Odds are you'll break bones in your limbs - fairly high odds, that will have you off the bike/off work for a while. A broken hip is quite nasty and takes some time to heal. You are also less likely to be going fast. I've come off on ice before, and my head's never been near the road !

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My wife was watching some frollicking on ice music quiz thing on telly last night? while I was surfing and had half an eye on the tv. One of the proffesionals went down hard and dislocated his shoulder before even starting the routine. Should he have been wearing a helmet, after all they do go pretty fast and carry out all sorts of acrobatics (overhead lifts etc)?

This morning I cycled to work in my usual headgear, a warm fleecy hat that keeps my earphones in place! :tongue:

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Some hip injuries are trivial, some head injuries are serious. Your statement wasn't true. There's no need to get in a tizz.

FTFY

The whole point about an accident is that loss of control means exactly that. You rarely get a choice in how you land when going over on ice (or diesel). I've managed to damage crash helmets on every fall I've had on a motorbike....yes that one in my avatar on both the track and the road.
The thing about a serious head or hip injury is that you could write about it on a forum afterwards when breaking a hip, but get a serious head injury, and you may never have that option again...even if you live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom