Riding the Caledonian Canal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
good morning CCers

I may have a window of opportunity in a week or so to do some riding north of the border

I am a fan of the canal network and was thinking that the Caledonian May be worth a look due to the surroundings

My queries are whether it’s a worthwhile couple of days and what are the chances of decent wild camps

I’ll likely be bike packing on my single speed Genesis day one so mountain passes are definitely out ^_^

Yays or nays please with any information you have

Thanks in advance

UHS

sheddy

Legendary Member
Could be a popular subject on here - maybe have a search

Ajax Bay

Guru
My queries are whether it’s a worthwhile couple of days and what are the chances of decent wild camps
It's about 100km and, though I have not done so, I'd judge that there are plenty of places perfect for a wild camp (NB busier on the weekend).
The canal 'towpath' from Banavie to Gairlochy is as perfect a off-tarmac ride as you'll come across. Option of climbing up to the Commando Memorial above Spean Bridge. The back road to Clunes is very quiet. The track from there to Laggan is fine on widish road tyres, more challenging in the wet (but riders' thresholds and perceptions vary as to tarmac v forest road). Same quality of forest road/track from Laggan to the N end of Loch Oich. Another great stretch of canal path from Bridge of Oich to Fort Augustus. The off road track up the NW side of Loch Ness via Invermoriston to Drumnadrochit is more suited to mountain bikes (gearing and tyres). I would bite the bullet of taking the B862 SE of the loch, climbing (walking the steep bits) the hill, and then enjoying quiet roads - variations available: either stay on B862 or drop down to Foyers and take the lochside road, but Strathnairn is very pretty and one can continue through to Culloden (battlefield). Extension to the ride available out to Fort George and its impressive fort at the entrance to the Moray Firth.
I would make the detour to Corpach and its sea lock to start.
Stretch option is to start by crossing the loch on the Corran-Ardgour ferry, riding up the west side and getting timings right for the Camusnagaul ferry back across to Fort William.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
It's about 100km and, though I have not done so, I'd judge that there are plenty of places perfect for a wild camp (NB busier on the weekend).
The canal 'towpath' from Banavie to Gairlochy is as perfect a off-tarmac ride as you'll come across. Option of climbing up to the Commando Memorial above Spean Bridge. The back road to Clunes is very quiet. The track from there to Laggan is fine on widish road tyres, more challenging in the wet (but riders' thresholds and perceptions vary as to tarmac v forest road). Same quality of forest road/track from Laggan to the N end of Loch Oich. Another great stretch of canal path from Bridge of Oich to Fort Augustus. The off road track up the NW side of Loch Ness via Invermoriston to Drumnadrochit is more suited to mountain bikes (gearing and tyres). I would bite the bullet of taking the B862 SE of the loch, climbing (walking the steep bits) the hill, and then enjoying quiet roads - variations available: either stay on B862 or drop down to Foyers and take the lochside road, but Strathnairn is very pretty and one can continue through to Culloden (battlefield). Extension to the ride available out to Fort George and its impressive fort at the entrance to the Moray Firth.
I would make the detour to Corpach and its sea lock to start.
Stretch option is to start by crossing the loch on the Corran-Ardgour ferry, riding up the west side and getting timings right for the Camusnagaul ferry back across to Fort William.

@Ajax Bay

thanks for the detail in your response, its given me lots to go at.

if I don't get the chance this year, im due to go there next year for a landmark birthday of my dads.

you sound like you are a local ^_^

many thanks again.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Not much of it is actually canal, mostly you are alongside lochs and some of the road can be quite busy, if you are following the Great Glen Cycle Way then a lot of it is on forest tracks and involves some hills so single speed may not be ideal.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
I would want to allow more than "a couple of days", no point in making an endurance trial of it, unless that's what you want:smile:.
Can't see any problem in finding wild camping sites.

Thanks @snorri

to be honest, looking at the reply from @Ajax Bay and yourself, it may be that this happens next year as I would likely get the train to somewhere in the middle and make a loop of it back to the start. as you say, there is no point making it an endurance event.

if possible, I would like to avoid midge season too, hence thinking about going soon.

the wild camping aspect really appeals, as long as supplies en route are no issue which I can t see it being.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
Not much of it is actually canal, mostly you are alongside lochs and some of the road can be quite busy, if you are following the Great Glen Cycle Way then a lot of it is on forest tracks and involves some hills so single speed may not be ideal.

thanks @rualexander

I did think that may be the case but that's fine by me apart from the hills. if I am to wait till next year, it may mean that I get myself a geared gravel type bike anyway. the genesis is a fantastic bike, probably my most comfortable but anything more than undulating terrain or slightly wet and muddy and its a bit of a gamble.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm not so sure that you could get a train to drop you off somewhere in the middle, Fort William or Inverness at each end are the only stations close to the canal.
If you stock up at the start I doubt it would be a problem, you could re-stock at FortAugustus, and there are other shops along the way, but I would be unable to list these. my info. would be out of date. There are also places to eat out on the route, again a little research would be required as some are seasonal.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
A quick update on this

A return ticket on the Caledonian sleeper for Xmas means this is happening sometime between end of March and end of May

Now looking for a (new) bike or take the risk of using my Dawes Horizon and not being able to go as far along tracks as I would maybe like.

I’m a sucker for Genesis bikes so may go that route on new but we’ll see. I may just update and renovate an old rigid ridgeback mountain bike I have instead

Top Bottom