Riding the Isle of Skye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Has anybody ridden on Skye, I was supposed to do it in August but broke my arm the week before.
Look on the bright side, the break would have saved you from a few soakings, and deprived the midgies of a blood source.:smile:

Ian 74

Not yet. Went to Mull this year which had great cycling. Could see Skye from the north. When I left mull I picked up the OS maps for Skye vowing to cycle it next year.... Some people seem to be luckier with the weather than others. Same as mull I had sunshine all the way and had no props with midges...

Skye is stunningly beautiful but he weather can be unpredictable.
I spent a week there once when I didn't see any scenery until the very last day when the mist lifted. If it is wet and windy, the plus side is that the midges aren't a problem. If it's warm and still or humid, the midges are ferocious from about 4.00pm onwards.
I've cycled most of the highlands and islands and I love Skye but I haven't chosen to cycle there mainly because the main roads are quite busy and fast.

aberal

Guru
I used to have to travel to Skye for my work and the first 4-5 times I went there it was miserable. You couldn't really see anything and I wondered what all the fuss was about. Thereafter, and over several years with only the odd exception, every time I went back the weather was great. It's the luck of the draw. It is sitting on the edge of the Atlantic after all. I only cycled on it once and it was very hard. The terrain varies but up around Flodigarry (not far from the Quiraing) it is a sort of continuous rolling never ending switchbacks which sap the strength a bit. But don't let this put you off. It's a fabulous island to visit - a trip over the Quiraing is breathtaking whether on bike or not and the roads are really quiet with the biggest hazard being sheep. Go for it.
rolleyes.gif

Proud2Push

We rode through Skye from Uig to Armadale a couple of years ago in May, taking an overnight break on Raasay. The weather was superb - clear blue sky and warm, the scenery was stunning and the people were friendly. The road from Uig over the Quirang was good, but the other roads were horrible - very poor surfaces and full of large German and Dutch campervans doing ridiculous speeds.* The scariest bit was approaching Armadale on a narrowish road that hadn't been upgraded and being overtaken at speed by a huge artic truck that was so close I felt myself being sucked under his wheels. Of course it could have improved since then, or maybe we were just unlucky, but we have no desire to cycle on Skye again.

* Something that has puzzled me when cycling in the Highlands and Islands, is why continental campervanners spend considerable time and money on getting to Scotland and the Hebrides (presumably for the scenery) and then fly round at 70 or more mph instead of taking time to enjoy what they've come to see.

OP
OP
twobiker

twobiker

We rode through Skye from Uig to Armadale a couple of years ago in May, taking an overnight break on Raasay. The weather was superb - clear blue sky and warm, the scenery was stunning and the people were friendly. The road from Uig over the Quirang was good, but the other roads were horrible - very poor surfaces and full of large German and Dutch campervans doing ridiculous speeds.* The scariest bit was approaching Armadale on a narrowish road that hadn't been upgraded and being overtaken at speed by a huge artic truck that was so close I felt myself being sucked under his wheels. Of course it could have improved since then, or maybe we were just unlucky, but we have no desire to cycle on Skye again.

* Something that has puzzled me when cycling in the Highlands and Islands, is why continental campervanners spend considerable time and money on getting to Scotland and the Hebrides (presumably for the scenery) and then fly round at 70 or more mph instead of taking time to enjoy what they've come to see.
We had the same experience in Glen Coe ,we overtook a campervan uphill and then were tailgated by it for for the next few miles with it flashing its lights !

fimm

Veteran
Did the skye Sportive a couple of years ago (just the Skye Beag, Mr fimm did the Mor) - it was great even if it did piss it down with rain most of the day! I'm been to Skye a few times to go into the Cullin - I dodn't think I've ever had a trip where we've not been able to do anything at all, though. Late April through May seems to be a good time to go.

OP
OP
twobiker

twobiker

Did the skye Sportive a couple of years ago (just the Skye Beag, Mr fimm did the Mor) - it was great even if it did piss it down with rain most of the day! I'm been to Skye a few times to go into the Cullin - I dodn't think I've ever had a trip where we've not been able to do anything at all, though. Late April through May seems to be a good time to go.
Yes we love it up there, Neist Point, Talisker, the list for us is endless, the weather is just one of those things about the Highlands, always take a waterproof with us.

Fiona N

Veteran
I've been to Skye loads of times over the years for climbing and walking - on one trip I did swop my rucksac for a bike (temporarily) but it all seemed a bit hard work compared to climbing (this was the days before I became a 'proper' cyclist).

Weatherwise it's always been a mixed bag. On one amazing trip a few years ago, I went up to Skye a few days early for a mountaineering club meet based at Sligachan. At the campsite I met a couple of German climbers who told me it had been so warm and sunny that the rock was too hot to hold when climbing. Yeah right ;) But the next day when I ventured up onto the Cuillin ridge I found they were speaking the truth - the black gabbro got so hot that it was very uncomfortable to climb on the south-facing features and there was a heat haze over the whole ridge. Of course, by the time the rest of the guys blew in from London for the first May Bank holiday weekend, it was raining and the cloud base was at sea-level :sad:

We've also had amazing weather at Easter - warm enough to skinny dip in the sea at the 'difficult step' on the path round to the Coruisk hut where we were staying.

OP
OP
twobiker

twobiker

I've been to Skye loads of times over the years for climbing and walking - on one trip I did swop my rucksac for a bike (temporarily) but it all seemed a bit hard work compared to climbing (this was the days before I became a 'proper' cyclist).

Weatherwise it's always been a mixed bag. On one amazing trip a few years ago, I went up to Skye a few days early for a mountaineering club meet based at Sligachan. At the campsite I met a couple of German climbers who told me it had been so warm and sunny that the rock was too hot to hold when climbing. Yeah right ;) But the next day when I ventured up onto the Cuillin ridge I found they were speaking the truth - the black gabbro got so hot that it was very uncomfortable to climb on the south-facing features and there was a heat haze over the whole ridge. Of course, the the time the rest of the guys blew in from London for the first May Bank holiday weekend, it was raining and the cloud base was at sea-level :sad:
We have camped at Sligachan, one year a troop of German scouts ? came in in line from tallest to smallest, they had the tent up in no time, very efficient . put us to shame.

I completed the best mountain bike ride of my life on Skye - called the 'tour of sligachean' (google it). It was simply epic. I have also ridden the roads on Skye and would second what people have said here. In places they are fast and populated by idiots in camper vans, and where they are less fast, it's really hard going - typical of what you would find on the west coast of scotland. I wouldn't be in a hurry to go there again - there are plenty of places on the west coast of scotland which are just as spectacular but less life threatening.

Top Bottom