Riding through fords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have stopped riding through fords. Too much a risk of going down.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I sympathise... I once stood up on the pedals when halfway through this one (to give it some oomph while exiting up the slope).... wheelspin central! Followed by very wet feet. And I had an audience. :rolleyes:
Algae is indeed very slippery, and that concrete is covered in the stuff.
20200730_114943.jpg

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Isn't it always the case. The more witnesses, the more potential for your embarrassment to be immortalised on smartphone. Nobody about, you sail through. There must be a law of probability for that, somewhere. As far as the universe is concerned, "If it wasn't documented, it never happened" or some such.

Cerdic

Yes, try riding through a Renault instead...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I made the mistake of thinking it was ok to cycle through a ford once and crashed. It had underwater moss-covered cobbles with wheel-rim-sized gaps between them. The ford is shown here and the water was a lot deeper when I was there. The ford is in a steep-sided dip so I went into it quickly hoping to maintain some momentum up the other side.

Never again - cobbles are hard, and fords are wet!

PS I've just noticed that there is a second ford further on round the bend - I don't remember that being there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
On a club ride, most of us went for the bridge except two. They didn't make it. It was hillarious though and they had a large audience from folk picnicing. Fortunately it was hot. One of the lads took the micky too much and ended up with a drink bottle emptied over his head. :laugh:

I will gloriously cycled thru heavy rain but never thru a ford or shallow body of water on a dry day. The algae will get you and I have no intention to sign up for the Airborne Regiment. Serious phobia.

Top Bottom