Riding through fords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
There's a ford at Ulgham Grange, in Northumberland, which has no warning of a ford until you are at the bottom of the steep sided valley- no footbridge or any crossing alternative but it isn't usually deep and the stone pavement is clean and algae/ moss free. Went through a couple of weeks ago but felt apprehensive= it is a very long detour to avoid it.

Willd

Veteran
Hmm, I'll stick to the bridge :okay:

1616403566432.png

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I did it once, years ago, on a work management bonding outward bound weekend, on a borrowed mountain bike, wearing cleats for the first time ever. defo entered too fast, goaded on by watching collegues, the instructor whose bike it was was panicking, I got quite out of shape but somehow stuck a leg out and recovered my balance, dipped a toe and carried on.

That was the last time I rode through a ford. you have no idea what's lurking under the water.

C R

Guru
Done it many times before - after today, doubt I'll ever do it again
Front wheel went instantly on mossy stone and bang - I was very wet
Not hurt, just refreshed!
The only time I tried going through a ford I hit the deck in similar circumstances to you. Luckily no harm, but I won't be doing it again.

Duxford Ford is worth doing... just for being able to say you've cycled through the Thames.

(The navigable bit goes through a lock cut at that point. There's a bridge to cross that, mercifully.)

http://www.wetroads.co.uk/oxfordshire.htm

Used to ride through a ford with my daughter when she was young

Great fun

but then I knew the ford very well and was certain that the bed was smooth concrete with no green stuff on it
and it was summer so only a couple of inches deep and you could see the bed clearly

figbat

Slippery scientist
In my minds eye, it looks great. Legs splayed apart, fast as possible, massive whoosh of water as I whizz through the ford

I suspect that reality may be somewhat different
In the rose-tinted, endless summer days of my youth this is exactly how it was. I lived an easy bike-ride-with-mates from this ford and spent vast amounts of summer here. Whichever way you approach it is from a hill and it is a very minor road that is easily bypassed so doesn't get used much - post a sentry on the corner to warn of any traffic then have at it. You soon learn hydrodynamic retardation effects which will suck all your kinetic energy and prevent you getting across unless it is all-but dry.

I recall one day we were hanging around the ford and a classic old car came along - something like a TR4 or Midget or similar. We egged them on and in they went... until they stopped halfway across. Opening the door to get out and push filled the car with water. We helped get the car out and they were pretty chilled about it. Then another similar car came along who were clearly with this first car. The driver of the first car shouted to the new arrival - "go on, give it some - it's fine!"... with the same end result.

What was worse to ride through on was a horse (which I did countless times). Horses and ponies have this tendency to want to get down and roll about in the water, which is not good for their tack nor their rider.

Aaaah... happy days.

Top Bottom