Riding through fords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Genau

I don't have any fords on my usual routes but I imagine they are like train / tram tracks in that they're not a problem until, suddenly, they are. I also had an audience for my familiarity breeds contempt moment.

At least the water should make for a softer landing.

simongt

Guru
The more witnesses, the more potential for your embarrassment
Yup. Happened to me some years ago. Out with my lass of the time and went hell for leather through Shotesham Ford. As the ford is on a curve and I hadn't allowed for the coating of slime on the stream bed as I took a stylish angled approach to impress, down I went in the middle of the ford to the huge amusement of passers by and my young lady - ! :laugh: Apart from my pride, the only 'damage' was sodden clothes and a very squelchy pair of trainers for the rest of the ride home - ! :rofl:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Fords need to be treated in the same way as a patch of ice in the winter - take them in a dead straight line, with no steering, braking, or looking round.

I have done the legs splayed out, as fast as possible, in the ford at Broadwell. I was on fixed, so it seemed the only way of keeping dry feet :smile:
Clipping back in on the other side was a little awkward - the initial 100 rpm had decayed to 80 before I got a foot in.
http://www.wetroads.co.uk/gloucestershire.htm

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This has been interesting, some roads on my usual ride to work have a flooding problem in winter. The council is going to have a go at tackling Perrinpit Road this year (hurrah!) but I have had to replace a BB annually since riding through some of these floods. It's a small-ish price to pay for mobility, in the scheme of things and my wheel hubs seem to be OK.
VID_21340505_123211_4781136703346361692_2 (1).jpg

I was reminded though, of this Ford which had not forded.

Seevio

Guru
This has been interesting, some roads on my usual ride to work have a flooding problem in winter. The council is going to have a go at tackling Perrinpit Road this year (hurrah!) but I have had to replace a BB annually since riding through some of these floods. It's a small-ish price to pay for mobility, in the scheme of things and my wheel hubs seem to be OK.
Perrinpit Road? Amateur! Try using the ford, or indeed any part of Hoovers Lane anytime there hasn't been a dry spell.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The longest I've been through are this:
A417_nov2012_zpsd80b8cb5.jpg

(about 1 km, 2'6" by the depth gauge, bike over the shoulder)

and this
20191116_Longdon_Marsh.jpg

(a bit over a mile, mostly about 6" deep, ridden)

They don't count as fords though, as there were road closed signs (though only at the far end in the case of the second).

The longest I've been through are this:
(about 1 km, 2'6" by the depth gauge, bike over the shoulder)
and this
(a bit over a mile, mostly about 6" deep, ridden)
They don't count as fords though, as there were road closed signs (though only at the far end in the case of the second).
yikes! here's hoping you don't fall in a hidden washed-out hole! plus that water doesn't look quite clear, yuk

Seevio

Guru
I thought that seeing as it hasn't been particularly wet in these parts, I'd take a trip up Hoovers Lane.
20210331_181240.jpg

It's not very deep but having seen what's below the surface, I wouldn't even ride it when it was dry.

Top Bottom