Riding through fords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The ford at the other side of the Wharfe, from Bolton Abbey always catches riders out (& motor-cyclists) if they've approached from the south; that drops down the steep hill from Storiths (& the now, sadly closed, 'Buffers Cafe')

Scroll down to 'Bolton Abbey'
http://www.wetroads.co.uk/northyorkshire.htm

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The ford at the other side of the Wharfe, from Bolton Abbey always catches riders out (& motor-cyclists) if they've approached from the south; that drops down the steep hill from Storiths (& the now, sadly closed, 'Buffers Cafe')

View attachment 579995

View attachment 579997

For some reason, I had completely forgotten that ford. :wacko:

I DO remember the steepness of the climbs and descents on that little road, which I have ridden many times.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful

View attachment 579995

View attachment 579997

I think I would rather attempt riding over a sheet of glass swamped in diesel than that particular load of stones.

For some reason, I had completely forgotten that ford. :wacko:

I DO remember the steepness of the climbs and descents on that little road, which I have ridden many times.
It's a roller-coaster of a road
I remember, equally, the approach to Storiths, especially in the 90s
Coming along the A59, from Blubberhouses, & past Ravens Peak (the old pre turnpike road rejoined here (bridleway from Blubberhouses), descending towards Bolton Bridge down Beamsley Bank used to be a bit fraught
The A59 was a 3-lane road then, with a central 'suicide lane' (could be used for overtaking in either direction) with no facility for turning right onto Storiths Lane (or the other lanes leading off it)
I think everytime I rode there, I pulled to the kerb & waited for a gap

I think I would rather attempt riding over a sheet of glass swamped in diesel than that particular load of stones.
It's claimed a lot over the years, as has the one at Brighouse

Mr Celine

Discordian
There's a ford at Ulgham Grange, in Northumberland, which has no warning of a ford until you are at the bottom of the steep sided valley- no footbridge or any crossing alternative but it isn't usually deep and the stone pavement is clean and algae/ moss free. Went through a couple of weeks ago but felt apprehensive= it is a very long detour to avoid it.

There was a footbridge when the Google car went through in 2008.
Google Maps

Mr Celine

Discordian
You did well to spot that Mr C... didn't spot that on the way down! To be fair it is a bit detached and hidden away without any signs!
It made me think of a home visit I did to a remote farmhouse many years ago. The house was accessed by a track off the main road which had a ford across the Tima Water which, because it had been raining for weeks, was in spate. I drove up and down the main road twice looking for a footbridge but couldn't see one, so gave it a shot. Fortunately it wasn't a long ford as the car was bouncing sideways with the current. When I got to the farmhouse the first thing the man said was 'Bloody hell, I wouldn't have tried that. Why didn't you use the footbridge?'
The foot bridge was easily visible from the other side but hidden from the road by trees. :laugh:

GuyBoden

Guru

gom

Über Member
It's fun, but never again.
Riding through a very short, very shallow ford on a very minor road in France, I measured my length on the road before I had time to think. Ms GoM riding behind thought the holiday was over, but I'd only hurt my pride. But a couple of years before one of the group had cracked a rib...

But chapeau to @andrew_s et al. above. Looks like great fun.

Top Bottom