Riding with fingers on the brake levers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Always. Two fingers covering each brake unless I'm slowly climbing a big hill.

GC

Leodis

Veteran
Frequent glancing over the shoulder every 8-10 seconds gives you a good awareness of the road users behind.

wtf...

In general when overtaking traffic you should always do it on the right. You never know when a car is going to turn left into your path without looking.

You never know when a car is going to allow another to pull out into your path.

Load of bollocks.

Wester

Guru
I always keep both paws on the brake levers at all times because I am cycling in London all the time

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
not constantly no but my levers on flat bars are angled so my fingers naturally fall onto them when opening up. I'm invariably on the hoods when on drop bars so again naturally in position to grab a handful of brake immediately.

Yeah on levers in traffic because they get used alot and close following cars at speed otherwise no, I find you can nip the skin on the side of your hand if you hit a bump with your hands on them.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
No.
Neither do I ride the brakes when driving.
I'd like to think I have an awareness of what's around me, and anticipating road situations.
I can't control what others around me do, I just trust myself.
It goes wrong sometimes, but so does anything!

OP
OP
Lincov

Lincov

Cheers guys, I won't change anything then. I definitely don't look behind every 8-10 seconds either!

Always. Two fingers covering each brake unless I'm slowly climbing a big hill.

GC
I dont always when conditions allow me to alter my riding position but its default for me to cover the brake levers. What has changed since my bike set up I was puting a couple of fingers behind the shifters and too but my recent bike fit has my hands further up the levers and there's less space behind.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I dont always when conditions allow me to alter my riding position but its default for me to cover the brake levers. What has changed since my bike set up I was puting a couple of fingers behind the shifters and too but my recent bike fit has my hands further up the levers and there's less space behind.

It's a habit that began many, many years ago when I started riding motorbikes, then reinforced when I started mountain-biking.
My commuter uses gripshifts so my hand position is thumb and forefinger around the shifter and middle two fingers covering the brake, pinky round the grip. It's intuitive and comfortable for me.

Riders with different bars, shifters and brake lever setups may not find it so.

GC

endoman

depends where you ride. I can ride from home for 30 minutes and often never come across a car. When I commute and get into busier areas then yes, I have the ability to stop when needed.

Linford

If there are obvious potential hazards like riding in slow moving traffic, then cover them, if not, then just on the hoods.
Cover both brake and clutch on the motorbike. Things happen a lot faster a lot quicker on these so need to be prepared to respond withou having to re arrange my fingers. Riding on the hoods is only a small reach to the brake either way on the roadie.

Top Bottom