Riding with fingers on the brake levers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve H

Large Member
Very much depends...
On a mountain bike on technical terrain - generally I keep a finger or two over the brake levers.
On the road bike - generally not. Only if I'm in medium to heavy traffic or on a technical descent. The speed I ride, means I generally have plenty of time to get my hands to the brakes in time!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Cheers guys, I won't change anything then. I definitely don't look behind every 8-10 seconds either!
Unles I'm going to make a move I usually rely mostly on my hearing to know if anything is approaching.

On my MTB, whether on road or off road, I generally have a couple of fingers on brake levers all the time, except when grinding up hills.

Strangely, on my e-bike, which is mostly travelling faster, I probably cover the brakes less of the time. Not sure why that is.....

ScotiaLass

Guru
I don't ride with fingers hovering over the brakes....I generally know my route so know when I'll be braking (downhill/corners for example) and have good visibility, so can see oncoming walkers/dogs etc.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I don't cover the brakes all the time, nor do I like back every 8-10 seconds.

I look ahead and plan ahead, I then act according to the weather conditions, the traffic conditions and the road design.

If I change speed, position or see obstacles up ahead I plan appropriately and shoulder check as needed, I will also at times give a "hold back" signal (if I feel it is needed).

I will cover the brakes when approaching obstacles in tight spaces or if in slow moving traffic (whether behind another vehicle or filtering).

Hearing a car or seeing cars lights coming from behind is not really something that bothers me unless I know I am reaching an area with restricted space (like a pinch point).

Overuse of shoulder checks may make a less confident driver nervous, you need to command the road where needed, and not shy towards the kerb/roadside.

Top Bottom